Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is ** running scam?

Highlighted
G P Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
1 of 10

Hi,

This is my first time on Upwork. I hired **Edited for Community Guidelines** and shared complete details of my project with him. He kept asking for additional time and i agreed. Finally he said give me another week to deliver the whole project. One week ends today but when i asked for the work, he replied the following and then blocked me- "Sorry, but due to my personal problems and reasons, currently I’m unable to work on this project and meet any deadlines. I’m sorry that you’ve wasted so many time, but I have to end this contract.  Good luck with your app with some other better designer!". This guy was suggested to me by upwork and is rated one of the top most.

Is this some kind of scam? Is my money safe? is my project safe?

Do you guys have a contact number? I couldnt find it anywhere on your website

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 10
Was it a fixed rate or an hourly contract?
Highlighted
3 of 10

fixed rate

@Petra R wrote:
Was it a fixed rate or an hourly contract?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
4 of 10

The name is going to be deleted as we can't share personal details on forums. However, if it's the same guy that pops up in the search results, it doesn't seem like a scam-profile - solid reputation and work going 2 years back. Could really be having personal issues - which doesn't mean that the way he handled the contract was professional. On the money issue - as Petra mentioned, depends what kind of contract it was.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 10
Ok, so had you already released any money to the freelancer or are the funds still in Escrow? If you have not released anything your funds are safe. You can end the contract and request your Escrow funds back.
Highlighted
6 of 10

its in the escrow. Can you please tell me how to get it back? 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 10

Hi G P,

It looks like the freelancer ended the contract. When that happens, the funds from Escrow are automatically refunded to the client within 5 days.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 10

Hi GP,

If you haven't released a payment to the freelancer and the funds are still in Escrow, you can close the contract and the funds will be returned to your billing method. It sounds like the freelancer isn't able to proceed with working on this contract, possibly due to the project scope details they weren't aware of during the interview and before accepting your offer or personal reasons they mentioned. You can communicate and hire a different freelancer to complete the job for you. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns

Highlighted
9 of 10

I shared ALL the info with the freelancer to avoid communicatoin gap. If you work for Upwork then you may have access to my chat. Check there.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 10

The Upwork user interface is almost entirely client-centric, meaning it caters to the needs of the client.

This is a good thing, and this is as it should be.

The good thing is that a client who funds escrow has a great deal of control over that money. It is not the same as an "up-front payment."

A client can (and should) check submitted work and only release payment when the work has been received, checked, approved, and stored safely in a place that the freelancer can't get to it.

If a freelancer cancels a fixed-price contract, the money automatically is returned to the client. So this is fairly safe for the client.

A freelancer might be unprofessional or flakey for not actually completing work that he said he would do. This may be very inconvenient or frustrating for a client. But when all the money is returned to the client, this is not the same thing as a "scam."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS