Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

job not completed - payment issue

1626136b
shir h Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
1 of 13

hey, 

I am a new user in upwork and recently i hired someone to make a web research and then write an article for my blog. 

so far he did a bad uncompleted research and he is nowhere near to complete the article.  

he has only 30 min to complete the job (according to the contract) - its hopeless! 

therefore i paused his contract, but he already want to charge me for 1.5 hours.  

honestly i dont see any reason to pay him, he simply didnt do the job. 

what do you think? is there anything i can do? its just seem so unfair, why should i pay him? its not like he wrote a bad article, he didnt write one at all, and that was the main purpose. 

thank you for your help 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

Shir,

I have hired dozens of people on Upwork. Most have been great. Some not so great. Some have not delivered at all.

Here is how I look at it:

My time and energy is important and valuable.

So if a contractor did 1.5 hours of work for me and the work isn't anything I can use, the fastest, easiest thing to do is to just close the contract and provide honest feedback based on my experience. I don't need to try to torpedo the guy, but I can provide accurate star ratings and maybe use a sentence to explain that I simply couldn't use his work.

So this isn't saying that the bad contractor "should" get paid. But I'm putting time and my need to move on and forget about this above the contractor's need to be dealt with "fairly" by attempting to not pay him.

If you care more about yourself than you do about that contractor, then let the payment go through

If you care more about the contractor than yourself, then try to avoid paying the contractor by contacting Upwork Customer Support or filing a dispute. (Which attempt probably won't be successful anyway, but you can try.)

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 13

Preston H wrote: try to block payment. (Which attempt probably won't be successful anyway, but you can try.)

why are you telling him to do something that will immediately get his account suspended?????????

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 13

re: "why are you telling him to do something that will get his account suspended"

Well, the whole point of my post was to tell him NOT to do that.

And I thought it was obvious that by "blocking payment" (which I told him not to do) I meant contacting Customer Support or filing a dispute to avoid paying the contractor.

But, yes, I can see how my wording could be misconstrued. You must have been thinking of contacting his credit card company or doing something untoward. I'll edit the post for the sake of clarity.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 13

Have you communicated with the freelancer? What is he saying.  I know deadlines are important, but it is still within 30 minutes.  Also did you agree on a price and how many hours he/she would be clocking for the project?

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 13

You said your job was to do some research and then write an article. So you're paying for the research time as well as the article. Even if the freelancer didn't produce what you needed in the end, they still spent time on your project and should be paid for that. I'm assuming here that your project was an hourly project - an hourly project, you're paying for the freelancer's *time*, not a deliverable. If it was a fixed price project, and the deliverable was clearly set in the contract as the finished article, and they haven't provided you the article before the deadline agreed, then you don't have to pay them.

But you should always try to resolve this first by communicating with your freelancer.

gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
7 of 13

I don't know, research is a time-consuming activity. Once it took me 4 hours to come with this result: "It's an array of integers".

ai83
Community Leader
Alma I Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
8 of 13

@Gabriel, that sounds a lot like another famous answer, namely 42. Can you tell us what was the question? 😄

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 13

Hi Shir,

Please communicate with your freelancer and try to resolve the issue amicably. Also, note that on Hourly jobs clients are paying for freelancers' time and possible disputes must be based on hours billed and not on quality of the delivered product.

Untitled
screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
10 of 13

@shir h wrote:

hey, 

I am a new user in upwork and recently i hired someone to make a web research and then write an article for my blog. 

so far he did a bad uncompleted research and he is nowhere near to complete the article.  

he has only 30 min to complete the job (according to the contract) - its hopeless! 

You gave him a half hour to research and write an article? How many words was in the article? Regardless 30 minutes sounds like an overly tight deadline if this is what you hired him to do. But he agreed to it so maybe he was desperate for work, I don't know - I wouldn't be able to agree to those terms even if I was starving! lol.

Maybe for the next project you could ask the freelancers to include in their proposal how long it will reasonably take them to complete the job and you might  luck out on a fantastic person who can knock out quality (paid accordingly) and make you a happy client! 

therefore i paused his contract, but he already want to charge me for 1.5 hours.  

honestly i dont see any reason to pay him, he simply didnt do the job. 

what do you think? is there anything i can do? its just seem so unfair, why should i pay him? its not like he wrote a bad article, he didnt write one at all, and that was the main purpose. 

thank you for your help 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS