🐈
» Forums » Clients » job post violated the terms of service of ano...
Page options
71d1977e
Community Member

job post violated the terms of service of another website

Why is my job being canceled? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I didn't mention any websites. This is extremely aggrevating.

8 REPLIES 8
hardorff
Community Member

You obviously broke Upwork's TOS.
The question is just, which of the rules it was.

This makes no sense at all and no one seems to be able to provide an answer
why. I am simply looking for a ubot developer for a relatively simple
freelance job.

As a business owner looking for expertise on Upwork I find it very difficult and cumbersome to find the professionals I am looking to hire. I will be closing my account and looking at Upworks competitors for the services I am looking to hire out. Someone at Upwork should be embarrassed at how awful the customer service is and the blocking of job posts that are honest and legitimate attempts to hire experts.

Make sure to read the TOS of the new site, you're going to register on.

David F wrote:

As a business owner looking for expertise on Upwork I find it very difficult and cumbersome to find the professionals I am looking to hire. I will be closing my account and looking at Upworks competitors for the services I am looking to hire out. Someone at Upwork should be embarrassed at how awful the customer service is and the blocking of job posts that are honest and legitimate attempts to hire experts.

While leaving scores of jobs that clearly violate TOS or have long expired live.

David:

Can you tell us more about the job that you were trying to post.

We may be able to help you figure out what went wrong.

Job posts are not necessarily evaluated by humans. The algorithms that Upwork has set up to check for problematic job postings can make mistakes. Sometimes jobs DO get flagged or blocked automatically without actually violating any rules.

I just saw this (maybe our messages crossed):

re: " I am simply looking for a ubot developer for a relatively simple freelance job."

Yeah... It definitely sounds like your post was flagged by Upwork's automated algorithm. I am sorry to hear that you had difficulties. This is NOT the kind of experience we want Upwork clients to have.

If a client posts a job which has problems, including ToS violations, then the ideal result would be that the client would be notified as quickly and as clearly what the problems are.

You can try going to the Customer Support section and creating a help desk ticket. Or hopefully an Upwork moderator will see this thread and intervene to help you.

re: "...and the blocking of job posts that are honest and legitimate attempts to hire experts."

This is a legitimate complaint. This is not the first time we have heard about this kind of thing happening. I don't blame the original poster for being unimpressed by his experience.

If it helps to put things into context: Most jobs that are blocked inappropriately are blocked by automated algorithms. These are very imperfect algorithms. Only a minority of jobs that are blocked by Upwork are done so by human beings actually reading the job post. But this CAN happen as well. Upwork employees are simply regular humans trying to do a job to the best of their ability. They are not necessarily familiar with various technologies or job niches that a job posting may reference. They CAN make mistakes. Just because an Upwork algorithm or employee makes a decision about a job posting, doesn't mean that the job posting violates Upwork ToS. As a client, I have personally had to modify the wording of innocent job postings in order to post them and hire freelancers.

This is far more trouble then necessary and Upwork has proven to be a waste
of time and more trouble. There are other platforms that are a lot less of
a hassle for a simple job post.
JoanneP

Hi David,

I checked your account and I see that our team already reached out to you regarding the job you posted. I can confirm that they have already replied to your email today and they have also shared the link to Upwork ToS. If you need further assistance, please feel free to respond and our team will be happy to help you. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths