cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my money was stolen

Highlighted
Nunaisi L Member Since: Mar 9, 2020
1 of 15

hi there, I had a clear agreement with a freelancer to do work for two hours. she charged me for the two and a few days later for an extra 20!!! I opened a case of mediation but upwork told me she refuses to refund and they can't do anything just pay me their commission back. did anyone experience something like this? absolutely unacceptable! cant trust upwork to protect it's clients like Fiverr do!

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
2 of 15

Hi Nunaisi,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with the freelancer. One of our team members will follow up on your dispute ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Matt G Member Since: May 25, 2020
3 of 15
I have a similar problem, why did up work take a payment when no hours had been logged or work uploaded

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
4 of 15

Hi Matt,

The reason why you see this charge is because you have added a salary on the contract when you have sent the offer to the freelancer. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with this concern.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Matt G Member Since: May 25, 2020
5 of 15
Hi,

thanks for replying. I added a contract that was for 5 hours a week @$20 ph with a maximum of $100 in any week. I did not agree to pay them regardless of it they worked or not - just like a real office , if you dont turn up, you dont get paid. No one is paying salaries on here

Highlighted
Jim R Member Since: May 26, 2020
6 of 15

This an a few other posts on unexpected and unexplained payments are frightening!  And right, nobody pays a salary as it is not an option I have ever seen.

My one experience with a dishonest freelancer came down to my agreeing to pay an arbitration fee of $800. as I recall and forfeiting it if I lost; fortunately I won as she had no case except a pack of lies. But Upwork would not review our message thread to see the obvious merrit of my position and was forcing the disagreement to an arbitration more costly that the money at issue!  Upwork seems not provide the assurance of satisfactory services and payments that one naturally implies from their agreement.  And I suspect many freelanceers also are 'robbed.'

Evidently, a customer must check daily and close a job immediatley after completion. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 15

Jim R wrote:

And right, nobody pays a salary as it is not an option I have ever seen. 

So everything you have never seen doesn't exist?

The salary option does exist and is used by plenty of clients.

Jim R wrote:

My one experience with a dishonest freelancer came down to my agreeing to pay an arbitration fee of $800.

Nope. The arbitration fee is $ 291 per party (freelancer, cient and Upwork)

Highlighted
8 of 15
Sorry, I suppose I'm recalling my potential exposure as the $800. mentioned.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 15

Arbitration involves 3 parties (client, freelancer, Upwork) paying $291 each, which is a total of $873.

Highlighted
10 of 15
Yes, the price I listed was incorrect --I said per memory.  I don't care how many the steps if simple disputes with easily verifiable facts cannot be resolved for less than the arbitration fee.  Small jobs are essentially without the protections sought by using Upwork!
#- Please type your reply above this line -##
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS