cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to upwork am i being reasionable

matthew p Member Since: Jun 5, 2016
1 of 6

hi . im new to upwork . im looking to get basic work done . its literally copyt and past stuff with my facebook page and facebook profiles . https://youtu.be/Oh4OK6AmYxs . heres a video i made to show my future freelancer how to do the tasks . i got 3 or 4 people applying. i want to pay betweet 3 and 5 dollars p/h . do you think im being realistic . how much people should i interview . ?? is the work actually going to get done 8 hours a day ??. before i do the interview process is there any tips .?? do you think i should or can i hire different people for a trial period before i hire them full time for 6 months plus???? is there people out there i can pay to interview people on freelance and find me the correct match ??thanks 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 6

I gave up after watching a minute of your video, watching you type instructions into a document. You might want to edit that video down to about 5 minutes instead of 30+

3 of 6

well you can always skip through . i thought if im hiring a freelancer for the next 6 months i should at least give them some detail(30 mins) of what i want them doing to see if it suits ?? i dont know . maye ill shortin it a bit

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 6

re: "do you think i should or can i hire different people for a trial period before i hire them full time for 6 months plus????"

Matthew:
Yes.

Absolutely. You are 100% correct.

This is freelancing. This is Upwork. We are not bound to some of the restrictions and traditions of the "brick and mortar" world.

You can hire a freelancer for only an hour. You can hire a freelancer for only 10 minutes of work if you give them specific instructions to not exceed that amount of time and you monitor them really closely, in real time, via live chat or something.

But or practical purposes, one hour is the minimum amount of time you can hire a freelancer for with ease.

Just hire them and set the maximum number of hours they can work during a week to one hour. And then make sure you close their contract after one "week" of work.

If you hire 20 people at $5.00/hour, and let them all work only one hour each, that would only cost you $100 (in the future, you'll also pay a small percentage as a processing fee).

Imagine that: You can hire and test out 20 different contractors at that rate for only $100. It's a very economical way to try out freelancers.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

re: "is there people out there i can pay to interview people on freelance and find me the correct match ??"

YES.

You can do this.

Upwork lets you assign hiring privileges to your assistants or project managers.

But keep in mind that interviewing people may be a waste for for many types of jobs.

You could probably save money by paying your assistant to interview less, and hire more... Then monitor the work that freelancers do.

Stop working with the freelancers whose work you don't love. Keep working with the best.

You can straight up tell freelancers that they're being hired on a trial basis, and that if you like their work, you may want them to work for you for 6 months or more.

Every freelancer who has an ounce of sense in their head knows that this is the case for every hourly job they work, even if the client doesn't tell them this. You should absolutely feel free to tell freelancers that the job could be short or long, depending on how things go.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Matthew,

I watched a bit of your video too. It was a bit slow, but generally I think it's a good idea to have screencasts for this type of thing. Maybe consider splitting it into different videos for different steps, and also have a written information sheet that summarizes the main steps so that potential providers don't have to search through a single lenghty video for a particular question.

Quite a few providers are hesitant when it comes to new clients on Upwork, due to potential scams but also because inexperienced Upwork clients can mean additional hassle. Having your payment method verified helps, same with presenting your job post, requirements and additional information/communication in a well thought out, well structured and professional manner. The better you express your needs, the better providers can demonstrate their abilities.

Like Preston, I think you'll most likely have to go through a few providers to find your perfect "match". Whether you choose to do this yourself or by the help of a recruiting manager, prepare yourself for having to monitor your freelancer(s) relatively closely in the beginning. Again, the more prepared and structured you are during this process, the easier it will be to separate candidates and find the right providers. There is a bit of a learning curve to hiring. Upwork's help pages and the community forum provide a lot of valuable information.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS