cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non responsive contractor. Several broken promises

Highlighted
Karim T Member Since: Jul 20, 2011
1 of 15
Hired a freelancer to write and publish and article on their blog. It was originally intended as a fixed price job as it would be the most appropriate pricing model as the job is either complete or not. There is no inbetween. Freelancer insisted on hourly contract so I agreed. Freelancer has worked 4 hours, received payment and then made the ususal excuses about have personal problems. I said OK, please complete the work this week. I received a promise and now it's been 21 days and I still have not heard a peep or any update on work. I feel like I've been cheated. Is there any way I can open up a dispute. Given that the project involved the freelancer writing a blog post on their blog promoting our service I feel it can't be amicably resolved. The work done so far is theirs to keep and we cannot use the content elsewhere.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
2 of 15
Sorry to hear about this but if you've paid for this work and they didn't publish the content on their blog as you have both agreed on in the first place - then I will feel cheated too. I can see two possible reasons here: a. the work was never really done b. the freelancer suddenly had a change of heart on posting paid reviews in line with the ad rules by the ASA or FTC - maybe doing so will tarnish their image online and put them in serious trouble with the authorities. Read this>> http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/jonsilk/100011524/the-asa-is-threatening-online-sanctions-ag...
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 15
If you paid them for the work, it is not theirs to keep. But to get it taken down, you would have to show that you paid for it."Oh what a tangled web we weave." You can try contacting support and see if you can get your money back. By the way, I don't know what the freelancer's website is, but in general, a link from a website full of fake, paid reviews with paid links is not going to help your reputation or your search engine ranking.
Highlighted
Karim T Member Since: Jul 20, 2011
4 of 15
It wasn't really a review. We asked the write to create a how to article, and asked to be cited as a supplier of a product which was required in the how to article. I have chased up with the freelancer to see if he will respond. He had lots of positive feedback and then poof.. Disappears.
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
5 of 15
Take out a support ticket and start a dispute. There's a time window -which you've missed- so I probably wouldn't hold out much hope of seeing your money; but oDesk may take action if the contractor has done this to others. [quote]Freelancer insisted on hourly contract so I agreed.[/quote] A lot of horror stories start out like this; second only to "The contractor asked if they could add manual hours"
Highlighted
Russell C Member Since: Jan 25, 2014
6 of 15
I have been told that due to poor internet connections or software conflicts manual hours are necessary. Is this often the case?
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
7 of 15
I couldn't tell you because I only do fixed rate*. The hourly tracker would seem to require an always-on connection, though, so it does seem feasible. I believe you can limit those manual hours on a weekly basis though and it would seem a prudent move to do so. *I work on results, whether I'm hiring or contracting. Plus my work machine is loaded with other people's logins and there's no way I'm having a random screenshot program running on the same kit.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
8 of 15
Nine times out of ten, no, manual time is not needed nor is it necessary. You have to be careful with allowing this because there are those who do take advantage of it and are fraudulent in the hours they claim to have worked. I don't trust it and I won't allow manual time when I do hire anyone. When I work as a contractor, if I add manual time it is legitimate, but it is never hours of manual time. I could understand a block or two due to a lag, but that's it. Don't allow contractors to use only manual time to claim work. It often is inaccurate!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
9 of 15
It really depends on how well you trust the freelancer. I prefer manual time because I can concentrate on my work without having to worry about whether I have the timer on when I'm working, whether I remember to turn it off if I get a drink of water or a bite to eat, or whether I am billing the right client. Also, I don't have to worry about not getting paid if I decide it's easier for me to scribble an idea on a piece of paper instead of type it on my computer. And I don't have to worry about whether I've been moving the mouse around enough when I'm trying to think about the right way to do something. Not having to think about these things allows me to concentrate better on the actual job and be more productive. Also, the memo pop-up thing that keeps coming up is annoying and distracting to me. And it continues to pop after I've stopped doing oDesk work, if I don't shut my computer off, to tell me that I'm not tracking time anymore. (No s* Sherlock.) So it distracts me and interferes with my work for non-Odesk clients, too. When I work outside of oDesk, and I do an hourly job, I tell the client how many hours I worked. They believe me and pay me. I do have a time tracker on my computer but that is for my personal use; I don't use it to report to clients. It helps if the client knows a little bit about the job so they can have an idea of what a reasonable amount of time is. I believe people have said that with the time tracker, if your internet connection goes down, some sort of cache process goes into play so the hours aren't lost, but I have no experience with that.
Highlighted
Oluwakemi B Member Since: Mar 26, 2013
10 of 15
I never tracked time also, all of my hours are inputted manually, it all depends on trust. Most of my clients don't even ask me they just give me manual hours automatically and few that does not understand, I explain to them. I have not have any problems with unpaid hours, to me is all about making sure you and your client understand each other, and try to run away from the low bidders client, they are the ones that really give problems.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS