Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non responsive contractor. Several broken promises

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
11 of 15
Trust and Mutual Agreement. I too work on Hourly Contract and I do agree it is also dependent on the type of work to be accomplish. If the Client has a clear understanding of the scope of work and a Professional Contractor would know his capability and the intricacies of the task, he would be able to determine how long the job would take. And with proper communication Both the Client and Contractor can agree the amount of time to be spent in order to accomplish the work. while the client can set the limit. There are enough safeguards in place to minimize risk for both parties, Its just a matter of understanding the system know how to use them properly. As it is, with all the new features implemented, Even the Hourly contract using Time Tracker is technically not a guarantee at all.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
12 of 15
Hi Russell, I do use the time tracker, although, I do dislike it for all the reasons Marcia stated. My memo doesn't pop up all the time. That is some setting you have to get right. It is more comfortable to work without the tracker going, but it is not too bothersome. I have only ever logged manual hours when I accidentally worked for over an hour and a half without starting the tracker. I let the client know that I was claiming it as manual time and why. It was easy to see that the work I had done required more than even the time I was claiming, so no big deal. I do not understand what you mean about software conflicts. No, I wouldn't buy that as a reason for manual time. The freelancer needs to get their software conflicts (whatever they may be???) figured out or not work for hourly jobs, in my opinion. If there is a loss of internet connection, the tracker cashes the time. I am not sure of how much it cashes, but that is uploaded as soon as there is a connection again, so no need for manual time unless excessive amounts of work is done with no connection.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
13 of 15
Is that I do work that doesn't involve just typing on a computer. For example, if a client asks me to review the layout of a web page, there is a certain amount of time spent looking at the page and thinking about how it could be improved. It's silly to have to move the mouse around aimlessly every few minutes just to make sure the time tracker is picking up activity, and it would disrupt my train of thought. I also add manual time for Skype meetings. The client can tell I am doing work during the time I tracked manually because ... I produce the work. It depends on the nature of the job. I do use the tracker for some clients.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
14 of 15
[quote=Marcia Malory] It depends on the nature of the job.[/quote] It really has to do with the nature of the job and the level of trust between client and freelancer. I use it because it is easy and because the client never has to second guess what it is he is paying for. Also, honestly, I don't want to have to keep track of hours (time spent on the project) on my own. Mainly, though, I use it because it is guaranteed time, whereas the client does not have to pay manual hours.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
15 of 15
Often - no, but it does happen. It can be the Internet, it can be a tech glitch. Just the other week I had to finish something quick (next-day-deadline kinda quick) and the Team app kept crashing on me. I just did the work, asked the client and added the time as manual. True, it's a long-term client, we know each other pretty well, and she knows I'd never overcharge - hence the reason I did it in that order. But the point is it does happen sometimes. It's all about how well you know the person you're working with.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS