cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk Tests

Highlighted
Alexandros T Member Since: Jun 28, 2010
1 of 32
What do you think about oDesk tests? Do you trust them? Do you think that they properly evaluate the tested skill? And If not, which are the main problems according to your opinion?
Highlighted
Upwork Staff
Jacqueline P Upwork Staff Member Since: Jan 7, 2008
2 of 32
FYI - Alexandros is doing a project on behalf of oDesk. If you've ever wanted to be heard on the topic of tests, he wants to hear from you now!
Highlighted
Ghulam M Member Since: Sep 27, 2010
3 of 32
I have given some around 4 Test such as ERP Test, Office Skill Test, XP OS test, Network test and etc. All test I found that it's professional test without Experience and wide Knowledge it's not possible to pass the test. for Example I tried to Pass the Odesk Test without Reading the Odesk Rules and Polcy, But I was Fail to Pass the test I Tried even more Times but could not succed. Finaly I study the ODesk Rules and Policy and then gave the exame then I achived. So it's show that The persons who they have clear the ODesk tests they are Realy worthy and they can do the Job very well. how ever to get a contract it's depand on Price and cover Letter & belong country & luck as well.............. Try hard is only success story..................... Thanks.
Highlighted
Laurette O Member Since: Mar 29, 2011
4 of 32
Some of the test questions were irrelevant to the job functions. For instance, I had questions offered in the Office Skills where terminology for euphemisms were asked, terms that I have NEVER ever heard of, unless I worked in a New York corporate marketing company. Hello? This is not where I live or the environment where my 35 years of experience has put me. How would I, or most of us know those answers otherwise? (Please, read further before you answer the typical: many people pass these tests. This is not addressing the issue.) Why not have more questions on common protocols? For instance, in the Microsoft office 2007 tests, there were 2 questions devoted to graphs and their tab options. How many administrative assistants actually use graphs often? I rarely if ever, but I know my way around office to find everything I need and do what needs to be done. If you put Office in front of me and ask me to do something, I can make it happen. Ask me about a tab option for a portion I rarely use and I have no idea what you're talking about without looking at the application. Now, I have to wait a month to retake the test and place it on my profile to give "proof" of my validity. Even a physical job wouldn't put me through these types of questions. Who set these up anyway? oDesk needs more relevant and broader questions, please. Furthermore, I see several people asking for tutorials, practice, help, etc. on these tests. How about offering links or courses people can take to brush up, prepare, or get more thorough knowledge before taking these oDesk tests. The answers to these types of questions were vague and given as such: you can take it again in a month; or I assure you lots of people pass these tests. Really? On the first time? Most people, or a rare few? How well do they score? These test results make my experience look like I'm lying to a potential employer. Take the vocabulary test for instance. I have a fairly large vocabulary, but the words given were not common words that even college educated people use. I was raised on a large vocabulary, but most people like me would do better with other words that are more commonly used in the more educated circles. Are we writing technical papers for Creative Scientists? The words wouldn't be used because most freelance or creative writers know their audience isn't going to read or understand it otherwise. Making a test difficult and convoluted for the mainstream isn't helping the testees. How about having a true test of KNOWLEDGE. Sadly, I can wrap my brain around almost anything, and yet oDesk tests are making me look like an savant idiot just because I didn't work in Marketing Corp., NY, NY. Thanks oDesk for being comprehensive in ways that few of us need or use. My advice for those who wrote some of the tests: Don't write a test if YOU don't know all the factors involved and cannot see the overall, bottom-line goal. The few tests that I took did not look like much thought went into them. They looked as if they were desparate to make 40 questions. (Gee, let's see. Only five more questions to come up with. How can I make a difficult test question to REALLy test their skills? NOT.) As a result of some of these questions (and I won't even talk about some of the answer options given), most of us fail or get a low score, making finding a job here a more ridiculous, frustrating, and long drawn-out process. Is that truly necessary? Furthermore, a suggestion for oDesk: How about oDesk setting up a mock company module for newbies to sign into and use to get a feel for the application and process? I tried to ask this of the woman teaching the first webinar and for some reason she could not seem to understand my question and went around it on my three attempts to explain it further. Anyway, this would eliminate questions, problems, and errors when starting your first job. The apprehension for accepting new employment on that factor alone is very high. Just read some of the questions. Feel free to email me with concise, direct answers to any of my issues. Questions are welcome.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cathy W Member Since: May 29, 2011
5 of 32
I agree with your statements above. The tests are way too technical and do not reflect a true picture.
Highlighted
Nazar K Member Since: Jan 8, 2008
6 of 32
Is it possible to answer 40 questions in 3 minutes. It means 5 seconds per question? Some contractors have such value.
Highlighted
David B Member Since: Aug 18, 2010
7 of 32
Some tests are good, some are not. I think it is best to personally take the same tests as your contractors. Even if you don't know the subject, it will give you an idea of complexity level.
Highlighted
David W Member Since: Oct 7, 2010
8 of 32
As I have only just started using oDesk, I've so far taken the Readiness and SEO tests. I had no issues with either. The one thing that does concern me is that I am not someone who typically does well on tests. Never did. I'm sure I am not the only one here who, although they have the knowledge in their head (regardless of subject) and when they sit down at the computer to use it have no problem putting that knowledge to work, but who, when faced with a question on a test and a block of potential answers tend to go...huh? Same when asked cold questions that require an instant answer. I'm the type who likes to consider the question and formulate a response not just bark out whatever first comes to mind. That's why I tend to do email rather than cell phone. ...and that is why before taking the Google Adwords test I am taking the time to review the Google Advertising exam materials. Couldn't hurt, might help and probably something I should do on regular basis anyway.
Highlighted
Ghulam M Member Since: Sep 27, 2010
9 of 32
I have given some around 4 Test such as ERP Test, Office Skill Test, XP OS test, Network test and etc. All test I found that it's professional test without Experience and wide Knowledge it's not possible to pass the test. for Example I tried to Pass the Odesk Test without Reading the Odesk Rules and Polcy, But I was Fail to Pass the test I Tried even more Times but could not succed. Finaly I study the ODesk Rules and Policy and then gave the exame then I achived. So it's show that The persons who they have clear the ODesk tests they are Realy worthy and they can do the Job very well. how ever to get a contract it's depand on Price and cover Letter & belong country & luck as well.............. Try hard is only success story..................... Thanks.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
10 of 32
I think most of tests are fair, BUT the translation tests are horrible. (In particular the German/English and English/German translation tests.) Please fix this!! The tests were NOT written by a native speaker and are full of grammatical mistakes. I find it very difficult to pick a correct answer out of 4-6 wrong answers. Many people have complained about this before, please have 2-3 native speakers proofread them to ensure quality AND ACCURACY. Thanks!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS