cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk Tests

Barbara W Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
21 of 32
It will post unless you choose to make it private, so it won't replace it, but it will show on your list of tests taken, along with the first one. You can go to your Settings icon to click on User Settings and then My Tests, and make it private, so the higher score shows, though. Thanks for posting! Smiley Happy
"Everybody is talented, original, and has something important to say." - Brenda Ueland
Kayce B Member Since: Nov 6, 2011
22 of 32
Ahh, very interesting system. Thanks for the reply. Cheers, Anth
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
23 of 32
I'm a native English speaker. My mom was an old-school grammarian who taught diagramming. I've been a professional writer and editor for more than 25 years. I freelance regularly, with repeat business from clients--including other professional writers and editors. So imagine my shock after taking the Punctuation and Mechanics to find that I scored 50% on parentheses and brackets, 67% on single vs. double quotation marks, 60% on colons and semicolons, and ZERO in mechanics (capitals, abbreviations, italics, underlining). On the English Vocabulary test, I got a 71% in antonyms and 71% in commonly confused words. I passed both, but not with scores that I would find impressive if I were hiring. And I can't take the tests again for another month! I am not big-headed. I know what my skills are, and I know my level of expertise. Either I had an epic case of fat-finger syndrome, or there is something screwy with the test. Is there any way to review the questions and answers to ensure that matters of style (and thus may have multiple right answers) aren't being treated as matters of grammar?
Jody M Member Since: Jun 11, 2013
24 of 32
I recently took a Photoshop test. After 20+ years of using it, teaching it and knowing it inside and out - FOR MY PURPOSES - I bombed. Perhaps they should be split up? I am primarily a print designer and half of the questions simply did not apply to me. I'm a little afraid to re-take it!
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
25 of 32
I can say test for English is extremely hard. It's like they expect you to read all Shakespeare's books.
26 of 32
if it's not your native language...and surely that's the reason for a test, so a client can have an idea of the level of your English. If you find the test hard, it's probably because your English isn't at native level.
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
27 of 32
There are several tests. While I'm top 30 % for basic UK, I'm bellow average for spelling US and vocabulary US. And vocabulary, this is what I'm referring to when I say it's like they expect us to read all Shakespeare's books. There are really untypical words which I'll probably never going to use in communication with my clients.
28 of 32
The business management tests are awful. They seem like they are intended for someone who just graduated and has never worked a day in their life. They should be asking situational questions to test how you would handle real life problems, not "What is the name of the person who designed this chart?"
Andrea W Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
29 of 32
especially the software tests where most of the questions concern functions that most users rarely - if ever - use. Therefore, the tests useless and are not an accurate gage of one's abilities or talents.
Flavia C Member Since: Oct 20, 2015
30 of 32

Hi,

I'm a new member and I am experiencing a few problems with the tests regarding Italian language.

Is there somehow the possibility to check which answers are incorrect in order to evaluate the accuracy of the test?

Thank you

Flavia 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS