cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk client readiness test is sorely needed

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
1 of 17

I think it should be mandatory for new oDesk clients that have not hired their first contractor to pass an oDesk Client readiness test before being able to hire someone.

I am meeting a lot of new clients that really don't know how this platform works at all.

I have to baby them in all aspects of oDesk.

Recently when this one client realized he could not get all his money back (on a contract I had with him with money back guarantee, where he had previously said I was doing a good job and thanked me) - he ended the contract and left bad feedback.  This contract went south overnight, going from a good working relationship to utter disaster in the space of 24 hours.  I was absolutely shocked by his reverse in attitude.

I really hope there is a client account review going on, like the contractor review.

Who you going to believe - someone thats successfully helped hundreds of clients, or the newbie client who left bad feedback on his first hire!??

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
2 of 17

Yes, while it feels really good to know that you are recognized as a quality provider (due to MBG)  I had a lot of challenges related to MBG contracts .With that said, I had a lot of lovely , amazing clients on MBG as well, but I just recently had the worst experience ever and I think I 'll focus on fixed-price contracts  from now on and do an hourly MBG just with clients that I already know.It is a nice gesture from oDesk  really , I mean trying to give me the wind at my back (and I really appreciate it!) but it just seems to me that I work much better with clients who choose me because of me , without that special guarantee included.

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
3 of 17

Also, I would just remove that disclaimer from oDesk profile overview if I were you (I know you are upset!) I mean you don't want to look sour and to show that one negative experience has defined you (again, this is just a suggestion.)

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
4 of 17

Totally agree

We need this sooooooo much!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
5 of 17

Hi John B,

Thanks for the feedback. Two points on your discussion thread here:

1. We are going to do more to provide education for clients along the way. In fact, we've been doing a lot of work to build out our Client Quick Help videos here and will be doing more soon to integrate these in the hiring experience directly and via email. I don't see us implementing a client readiness test in the near future, but this is a step in the right direction.

2. Yes, we do also review client activity in the marketplace and we have implemented an ongoing process to not only review these accounts but also intercede and in some cases, implement account restrictions when that client activity isn't up to our standards. We're going to be doing more in this area soon as well.

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
6 of 17

Garnor,

I'll believe this when I see the Client forum filled with "Why am I suspended?" or "Why am I under review?"

I just don't believe it. I don't believe reporting clients does anything, I don't believe reporting suspicious descriptions does anything and I don't believe oDesk care about integrity.

I've just seen a job description asking for 100 bank accounts. If such a description appeared, it should've been deleted immediately and the account suspended. 

Please prove us wrong!

Community Guru
7 of 17

Most of the very dubious jobs are from non-payment verified clients. Perhaps limiting the posting ability of clients until they verified their payment methods is the answer.

I personally find it very taxing that oftentimes, I need to help new clients to verify their payment method just to ensure they can pay me. It can easily eat up 30 minutes to a few hours of my time depending on how techy the client is. Hours which I am NOT paid for assisting the client on how to use oDesk and hours which I could have used for other purposes. Assisting the client on how to use oDesk is the platform's job not mine. 

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
8 of 17

For posts like the 100 bank accounts one, oDesk should be doing more than suspending the clients. They should be reporting them to the proper authorities.

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
9 of 17

Completely agree with Marcia. I personally think oDesk should employ a couple of people to approve job descriptions before they go live.

I mean, how many people have seen the job: "Typing from PDF to Word", then the description (I remember because I see it so often) - "we're in the process of digitalizing old books, newspapers...."

Community Guru
10 of 17

ODesk told me they do filter job ads before they go live and that's the reason why when posting a job, it takes a few minutes before it goes live. I was told that TWICE on live chat.

I'm not sure if that is still true these days as that conversation was before the E-O merge so maybe things are different now (can the mods confirm?). I did notice that the quality of ads went significantly lower this year. It's like a completely new marketplace.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS