Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open letter to Stephane Kasriel regarding Elance shut down

Scott L Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
1 of 21

From Stephane Kasriel's email announcing that Elance would be shut down:

"The Elance community is incredibly important to us"

My reply:

Your definition of 'incredibly' is very different than mine. The Upwork platform is much less efficient than Elance -- including the messaging. Yes, I've tried Upwork (and reported problems); you can check my profile here.

I seriously doubt it costs that much to keep a WORKING platform running. It would be nice to extend the transition by at least 6-12 months, and make a real effort to solicit and implement specific feedback from the Elance community.

P.S. The email was sent from no-reply@elance.com. That says alot about how 'important' we are, and how much the CEO wants to hear from us.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 21

Ah, my friend, I feel your pain. Unfortunately, it costs a lot to keep a site as big as elance afloat. As much as I'd like to keep it, I think Elance is like that boyfriend who is trying to dump you nicely but he keeps trying to get you to go away since he's just not that into you anymore. Best to take the hint and find someone else.

Here's a list of Elance just isn't that into you:

"It's not you, it's us."

"We care about you, but you should move on to Upwork"

"I know you've complained that we're not listening, but we're really busy"

"I can see you but I got stuff to do. Maybe in 3-6 days."

"We love you, but this is the best for everyone"

"I know I said I'd only take 8.76%, but I think I need 10% of your interest or it won't work out"

"We think you'll do better somewhere else"

"You're a great person, but we just don't have that connection anymore"

Amanda A Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
3 of 21

I agree. This is ridiculous. I can't stand Upwork - I'm a book designer, and it doesn't even have a "Page and book design" category. It's basically impossible to browse jobs, you get shoved whatever jobs the platforms THINKS are relevant.

I can't even express how angry I am about Elance shutting down. 

I want the fees for my last two years of paid membership back.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 21

@Amanda A wrote:

It's basically impossible to browse jobs, you get shoved whatever jobs the platforms THINKS are relevant.

Amanda. The next time you're looking for a job try this.

Click on Search with no criteria entered.

This shows all the jobs listed for every category.

Then go into Advanced 

Choose something to search for that is normally seen for your skills and put that search into the Title only. 

You'll see all the listings that should fit your skill set.

Hope this helps.

Barbara L Member Since: May 7, 2015
5 of 21

At least on Upwork I used to be able to apply for a job that didn't have 70 other people applying. That has already changed. All this merge will do is flood Upwork with thousands more people applying for jobs so that very few people will stand out. I have seen up to 200 people applying for a single job in the past couple of weeks, which is not a good situation for the client or the freelancer. This is only going to get worse. 

The changes that have been made to Upwork are a disaster in multiple ways. And for the premium membership all you get are 10 extra connects and the option of paying $1 for every additional connect you want. $1? How about $1 for five connects?

Not a good idea, Upwork. You took a good platform and ruined it.

Barbara L Member Since: May 7, 2015
6 of 21

Correction to my post above - I have been a member since 2012.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 21
Barbara, there may be limits to how much Upwork can and will control changes in markets. You offer services in a very crowded market, in which there is a surplus of supply relative to demand. You may need to distinguish yourself by becoming more specialized than simply a "proofreader/writer/editor."

You may want to emphasize only one of these three things in your profile.

You may want to emphasize a specific market niche. For example, you could be a proofreader/editor specializing in the energy industry, and then make sure it is clear that you are the very best in that niche.

You may need to look through all incoming Upwork job posts and find an under-served job niche for which jobs are posted, yet there are few applicants. And that would be the area of expertise you next choose to study and master.

You may need to consider that working online in certain industries or job skill areas at certain levels of skill and passion is not the most lucrative or rewarding thing you could be doing. There are lots of people working in your local economy who have far less skill and drive than you do, yet make a lot more money. There are jobs that are waiting for you offline which would be less of a headache.
Euan V Member Since: Nov 4, 2015
8 of 21

Preston, you seem to be in virtually every forum post at some point, talking about how UpWork isn't the problem. Your replies are also quite long, and well informed.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were paid by Upwork to post. Are you?  

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
9 of 21

@Euan V wrote:

Preston, you seem to be in virtually every forum post at some point, talking about how UpWork isn't the problem. Your replies are also quite long, and well informed.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were paid by Upwork to post. Are you?  

He posted that back in July of last year??

FYI he's a freelancer like the rest of us and one of the most knowledeable. 

Virginia M Member Since: Sep 15, 2015
10 of 21

I have been a member (of Elance) since 2012, but my posts list me as joining in 2015, so I assume that my work on Elance is irrelevant to Upwork, even though other information has been transferred. Apparently Upwork assumes that future clients don't need or want this kind of information. Then why include it at all? Just another in a long list of shortcomings on this site.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS