Page options
dcc355a5
Community Member

paying my freelancer

I am paying my freelancer in milestones 

1st 600 

2nd 600 

3rd 800 

the 1st milestone came due for 600 AUD and was paid however I had $946.49 debited from my account. I need some one to explain to me why i have been debited %947.49 and not $600 as perscribed on upwork 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Markus,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. Please keep in mind that everything on Upwork is shown in US dollars. 
Going forward you can communicate with your freelancer to release less funds on the milestones so that you`re not overcharged again. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

you have to quote the USD denomination on the website so we know it is in USD 

and What's the point of selecting AUD currency when setting up the transaction when hiring if it continues to show in USD. the transactable amount must be shown in the local denominated currency of the person hiring, because it is the amount leaving the clients bank account. 

I was oversharged 300 dollars for a milestone I set in 600 AUD. I want to speak to some one to rectify this ASAP. 

put me in contact with your accounts reconcillaitions team please. I was overcharged. 

Hi Markus,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your charges. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
tta192
Community Member

Markus E wrote:

you have to quote the USD denomination on the website so we know it is in USD 

and What's the point of selecting AUD currency when setting up the transaction when hiring if it continues to show in USD. the transactable amount must be shown in the local denominated currency of the person hiring, because it is the amount leaving the clients bank account. 

I was oversharged 300 dollars for a milestone I set in 600 AUD. I want to speak to some one to rectify this ASAP. 

put me in contact with your accounts reconcillaitions team please. I was overcharged. 

The point of that is the conversion is done by Upwork instead of leaving it to your bank. It's all about the commission really. 

It only happens at the moment your payment method is charged, everything else on the site is in USD

@g_vasilevski wrote:

Hi Markus,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. Please keep in mind that everything on Upwork is shown in US dollars. 
Going forward you can communicate with your freelancer to release less funds on the milestones so that you`re not overcharged again. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

The freelancer will not agree to a 35% discount after the start of the contract just because the client was presented with a misleading interface when setting up the project. 

dcc355a5
Community Member

Correct.

This is not about the freelancer providing discounts AT ALL. None of the onus falls on the free lancer to provide anything apart from the work agreed for completion.

This is about the misleading and deceptive tactics currently practised by upwork.

If selecting aud for transacting, then the amount charged out of the bank clients bank account must also be in aud terms.
No where did it say that after selecting my local currency was i going to be charged in USD.

Whats going to be done about this blatant deception?

Hi Markus, 

I checked your account, and I can confirm that our team has already reached out to you to assist you further regarding your concern. Please check your ticket number: 28806308. Feel free to post any follow-up questions on the ticket, and the agent will be happy to assist you further. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths