🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: poor work
Page options
b54b7eb9
Community Member

poor work

Hello Guys,

I hired a wordpress developer to help on my website we agreed on everything but the execution was so poor. In the agreement, I wanted to have a fixed contract but he insisted on hourly. I paid the first half of the job. Is there any way to reclaim back the money stolen from me? or should I stop the job now so that I avoid paying the extra horrible costs for the non existing work!

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Youssef:
With hourly contracts you pay for a freelancer's time, not for a specific deliverable.

Generally speaking, the answer to any question about whether you can avoid paying for logged time is: No.

However, there are two ways you can avoid paying.

1: You may ask the freelancer to send you a refund.
Example: Send a message to the freelancer: "John, thank you for working on this project. Unfortunately, the work you did is not really a match for my needs. I won't be able to use it. I would like to ask you to delete two of the five hours that you logged working on this project."

2: You may dispute time that was logged during the previous week. (You have 5 days to dispute after the close of the week.) You may dispute all work segments that were logged manually. You may dispute all work segments that have no memo. You may dispute all work segments with extremely low mouse/keyboard activity. You may dispute all work segments that show the freelancer doing something else other than working on your project.

If you dispute these time segments, Upwork will automatically remove them from the time that the freelancer gets paid for. The freelancer is NOT asked to approve these decisions. Upwork employees will directly remove non-qualifying time.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Youssef,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. It looks like you were able to pause the contract and already reached out to the freelancer for clarification of their further engagement on your project. 

On an hourly contract, your Freelancer log hours and you're automatically billed for them. On Monday you'll be invoiced for the previous week's hours based on your freelancers' Work Diaries. Your default billing method will be charged automatically. If there's an issue, you have until Friday (4 more days in this case) to file a dispute. Click here to learn more about the weekly billing cycle.

We'll also have one of our agents reach out to you directly to further advise you and reach out to the freelancer. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths