Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Top Rated" Freelancer Status = Complete Joke

1ff3bc54
Ace Contributor
Mark B Member Since: Feb 7, 2016
1 of 26

What is the purpose of the "Top Rated" badge that some freelancers are given? 

Please see the attached screenshots showing an application from a recent job I posted.  The freelancer in question has "Top Rated" status (and even mentions it in her cover letter) with "100% Job Success".... but she has only completed 3 jobs on Upwork, receiving feedback scores of 1.95 and 3.00 on two of those jobs, plus another 4 jobs "in progress" with no client feedback.

How does someone with such a poor work history get a "100% Job Success" score and "Top Rated" status? 

These scores/satus is totally meaningless to clients like myself if it's not at all reflective of the freelancer's actual work history on Upwork.  Two poor feedback scores (out of 3 total) should not equal "100% success"....

holymell
Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
2 of 26
Are you sure those are all the reviews she has? She's worked 7,000 hours. Those are probably just the reviews you can see without hitting "view more". Did you try that?

It says she's worked eight jobs. Still, yeah, I also don't see why her score would be 100%. That is odd...

Edit to add- I would also like to see an explanation for that 100%. That should not be right.
1ff3bc54
Ace Contributor
3 of 26

I am 100% certain those are the only 7 jobs in her job history.  The screenshot shows everything her work history -- 3 completed jobs (5.00 score, 3.00 score, 1.95 score) and 4 jobs in progress.  She has worked nearly 3,000 hours at one of the current positions, and nearly 2,000 hours at another. 

As far as I can tell, the Job Satisfaction score is just completely meaningless. 😞

holymell
Community Guru
4 of 26
It's not meaningless. A lot of freelancers think it's unfair to them.

I have never seen a profile such as the one you posted here.

The ONLY way i can imagine her having a 100% JSS is if all those clients privately claimed they would recommend her.

HER JSS may be meaningless, but you'll see plenty of profiles like hers where the JSS is below 60%. I can only imagine this to be a bug of some sort.

It's not meaningless when you have freelancers sticking in contracts with clients who underpay them just because they fear the impact of that client on their JSS.

It's not meaningless when you have to refund thousands of dollars to keep an undeserved negative score from your profile. These are things that have happened to people here on the forums that I have seen. It means a lot to many of the freelancers who work hard to earn and keep a good score. We don't like the JSS. But it's for you, the client. Not for us.

So yes, in this one weird example HER JSS is absolutely meaningless.

For most of us a single poorly executed job would lower our score.

I can't imagine that this is not some kind of bizarre error.

Have you seen any more like this?
1ff3bc54
Ace Contributor
5 of 26

"HER JSS may be meaningless, but you'll see plenty of profiles like hers where the JSS is below 60%."
-- Sorry, but if someone can have terrible job feedback and still receive a 100% Job Success score and Top-Rated badge, then that means I can't trust those numbers and will have to ignore them when review applications.  

This is not a bug.  I've now come across multiple freelancers applying to my current job post who have several feedback ratings below 5.00 (all within the past 18 months) -- including one with very similar numbers to the applicant I shared screenshots of in my OP, and no agency associations -- that have a JSS score of 100% listed on their profiles.  

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
6 of 26

Mark B wrote: 

This is not a bug.  I've now come across multiple freelancers applying to my current job post who have several feedback ratings below 5.00 (all within the past 18 months) -- including one with very similar numbers to the applicant I shared screenshots of in my OP, and no agency associations -- that have a JSS score of 100% listed on their profiles.  

The profile you posted seems unusual, I've never seen that. Agency freelancers often have strangely high JSS but it sounds strange since her agency has no JSS.

About this comment... A freelancer's JSS has multiple factors including:

- Public reviews from clients

- Private reviews from clients (whether a client privately says he/she would recommend the freelancer)

- Long-term and repeat contracts with the same client

Also as mentioned, Upwork uses three windows:  6 months, 12 months and 24 months.

While some clients rate higher in public and lower in private, not all do this. Some may give a 4.something public and a 9 or 10 private. They are asking different questions. Such clients may even hire the freelancer on additional contracts.

Edited to correct a typo

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
7 of 26

Hello Mark,

If a freelancer is exclusive to or the owner of an agency, the agency's JSS will be shown on the profile rather than an individual rating. Click here for more about agency's JSS. You may also know how the freelancer's JSS are calculated here.

Untitled
1ff3bc54
Ace Contributor
8 of 26

Thanks for the reply Ryan.

The freelancer in question is associated with an agency, but the agency has the following stats listed on its profile page:

• Current Jobs: 0
  • Total Jobs: 0
  • Current Members: 5
  • Total Hours: 0
  • Total Earned: $0

There's no Job Success Score displayed on the agency's profile, 2 of the agency members listed have JSS scores below 80% (and two have no JSS scores at all), and the freelancer who applied to my job (the one shown in the screenshots attached to my OP above) is not listed as one of the five agency members.

When there's so much ambiguity about a Job Success Score -- and absolutely zero obvious relationship between a freelancer's job history and their score / Top-Rated status -- that renders the feature meaningless and unhelpful when reviewing applicants for a job post.

holymell
Community Guru
9 of 26

Ohhh. It's an agency profile. 

You might be better off hiring the independent freelancers, then. Their JSS scores will be a more accurate reflection of their job success.

This is certainly an odd divergence from the freelancer's end of things when our scores dip for reasons we can't figure out, and we think it's not fair. Interesting to see there's another side of this, where, apparently, Upwork just gives 100%JSS to someone who clearly didn't earn it.

I would actually like to see a logical explanation for this one.

Mark--perhaps you could consider hiring a freelancer who is not from an agency. Look at what their reviews say and ignore their score if you have to.

Or you could hire someone with a 50% JSS if you're so certain it doesn't matter.... 

1ff3bc54
Ace Contributor
10 of 26

"You might be better off hiring the independent freelancers, then. Their JSS scores will be a more accurate reflection of their job success."

-- No, the screenshots in my OP were from a freelancer's profile, not an agency.  I was simply responding to Ryan's post above, where he said that the freelancer's agency JSS would display on their individual profile.

I only hire indepdent freelancers, and as usual I specified on this job post that I would like to only receive applications from idependent freelancers, but there's no way to actually enforce that requirement so I end up with 50+ applications from agencies that I have to manually archive/reject.

(For the record, I'm not really new to hiring on Upwork.  I have made 117 hires, have 20 active contracts, and have spent over $350,000 USD on the platform in the past 3 years.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS