cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Upgrade to Featured" after 2 invites - cant invite more

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
21 of 60

Lena as John mentioned, a notification of this - test or policy - needs to be prominently stated for all users.  Having buyers or FLers reverting to the forums asking what the heck is going on is the apex of mismanagement, lack of transparency, and flat-out lousy communications.

The intent might be valid. The process is certainly not.

Josh L Member Since: Dec 19, 2018
22 of 60

Thanks everyone for the support!

I agree if I knew I would of been more careful in picking who

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
23 of 60

Josh,

I understand this was not clear to you, and will share your feedback with the team. However, I also want to point out that when you send an invite you are shown the number of invites you have remaining at several points. When searching for freelancers there is a counter at the top of the screen displaying how many invites you have remaining.  Before you send the invite there is a counter at the bottom displaying how many are left. Also, after sending the invite there is a pop-up letting you know how many invites you have left. I've included screenshots below.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

inviteQT1.png

InviteQT2.pngInviteQT3.png

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Heaven H Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
24 of 60

I agree with a previous poster that 3 invites is not enough, especially if clients get only 3 total instead of a few invites per day. It's the clients who spam with 10, 15, 20+ invitations at a time that are the problem. It's very possible that all three invited freelancers will decline or fail to respond soon enough for the client.

Tyler C Member Since: Mar 22, 2019
25 of 60

THIS POLICY SUCKS LENA. WHAT DO YOU GUYS NOT UNDERSTAND?!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
26 of 60

Hi Tyler, 

I'm sorry to learn that this has been an inconvenience for you. Any changes we make are to improve the Upwork experience for all customers so that we can continue to be a leader in helping freelancer and clients connect. In this case, we know clients have different needs and we wanted to give our clients the options so they can choose the best plan for them.

Currently with your, Client Basic plan, you can invite up to three freelancers to submit a proposal for your job. To be able to send unlimited invites for a job post, you can upgrade it to a Featured Job for a one-time fee of $29.99.

-Avery
Untitled
Nupur G Member Since: Aug 20, 2019
27 of 60

I did not get these alerts. I was extremely surprised about the limitation on invites to my job. This seems extremely petty. Instead of trying to fix the problem freelancers have of being able to filter the invitations they get, this solution makes everyone unhappy. I will be using a different service to hire for my job. Please inform me if this issue gets resolved. 

-Nupur

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
28 of 60

This has to be one of the worst ideas I have seen Upwork implement...  so many of my clients post invite-only jobs. Only being able to invite 3 means there is a good chance one, two, or all of them won't even respond. Then what? Or... what if 2 turn out to be too expensive and the third doesn't respond?  Or... 2 turn it down and the one left isn't really as qualified as they thought? Then what? If they don't want to pay for it (and I can't see why they would) the job simply DOES NOT get filled here at Upwork and they probably won't come back. I can't even imagine how anyone thought this was "good" in some way.  It's like .... literally throwing clients away. 

Many of my clients told me they don't want a barrage of "general responses", they want to pick the people  and they should have at LEAST 5-7 invites. Nickel and diming clients will never prove to be worth it.  They will find other ways/places to find people.

Meanwhile, top rated freelancers will now get so few invites that they will invest their time in the other places they work and drop Upwork altogether.  I work almost solely off of invites. If I don't get them, I won't be here. A lose-lose situation.

Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
29 of 60

Jessica, 100% spot on!!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Clients have better things to do than be nickel and dimed by Upwork. 

It IS costing the freelancer in NO INVITES. I see people questioning where the invites have gone...well here is your answer!

You people are bound and determined to burn this platform to the ground!

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
30 of 60

@Tracye G wrote:

Jessica, 100% spot on!!

Another hair brained, insane, not thought through change being crammed down everyone's throats. 

Clients have better things to do than be nickel and dimed by Upwork. 

It IS costing the freelancer in NO INVITES. I see people questioning where the invites have gone...well here is your answer!

You people are bound and determined to burn this platform to the ground!

Yes, and should this become the norm, I will feel terrible declining invites (if I get any) knowing I am only one of three the client has. I get a lot of invites and most of them are too far below my rate. Clients often do not check this. So I decline a lot of them for rate being too low.  I imagine, that if they didn't check my rate, they didn't check anyone else's so the client will have only 3 invites to use, and all 3 freelancers may decline them. 

But the thing is... I don't mind getting a lot of invites and declining them...  sometimes I even accept invites with low rates and just put my rate in and get hired. MOST clients aren't spamming invites. Some do, but I think Upwork put a HUGE "fix" on a problem that doesn't really exist and will hurt FAR more than it helps. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS