🐈
» Forums » Clients » "Upgrade to Featured" after 2 invites - cant ...
Page options
Community Member

"Upgrade to Featured" after 2 invites - cant invite more

I'm trying to invite freelancers to apply to my job listing but it says I must "For more invites, upgrade to Featured". I have only invited 2 freelancers before receiving this message. Is 2 the daily limit? This seems unusual to me.

I have verified my email and phone number.

63 REPLIES 63

Hi Martina and Jennifer,

Please refer to the response I posted below and to reiterate, search functionality is not limited after reaching the three-invite limit.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
ccb5ffa1
Community Member

Thank you so much for your helpful reply! I appreciate it - regarding only
being able to invite 3 freelancers at a time.

Once I add my billing info, how can I know what I'm being billed for, as an
example - once the freelancer and I agree on a price - how does UpWork
become aware of this, and bill me accordingly?

Thank you.

Hi James,

I wasn't able to replicate the interruption you mentioned and can confirm clients are able to continue adjusting search filters after reaching the three-invite limit. If a client further attempts to invite an additional freelancer, they would see a pop-up asking them to upgrade their job post or in your case, being a new client, ask you to add a billing method in order to access this option.

Note that you need to add a billing method before you can send an offer and hire freelancers you've communicated with (you haven't hired any of them yet).

Please review these resources created to aid new clients with using Upwork and let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thank you very much for your reply and assistance! I really appreciate you
tried to duplicate what I encountered and your response.

I find this system very confusing, but am definitely learning with
everyone's help!

James and Josh (the original poster),  as freelancers we completely understand that 3 invites per job post is inadequate.  We have, collectively, suggested that Upwork modify that number to no more than 10.

This 'test' arose because a very small percentage of buyers abuse the system and send out 75+ invites per job post.  There is a vast difference between 10 or less and 75+.  🙂

Hopefully Upwork will amend the number of invites allowed to better serve both buyers and freelancers.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi James,

To address your concern regarding how payments are processed on Upwork, and which Payment Protections are in place for Upwork Clients, kindly check next help articles:

Let us know if you need any further assistance.
Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
yitwail
Community Member

A suggestion for Upwork if I may? If a freelancer declines an invitation, why not return the invite to the client? Otherwise, instead of the intended effect of motivating clients to upgrade, the main effect is likely to be clients closing a job then posting a similar job to get around the 3 invitation limit.

Clients who do not want to pay will simply go for intermediate freelancers (and prices) and the present system of making both parties pay is simply going to lead to circumvention. 

Is this really how you want to treat clients, Upwork?:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Invited-Freelancers/m-p/573214#M41453

842277ab
Community Member

I have been hiring Freelancers from Upwork for years (since odesk days) and have three separate accounts for three different businesses. The "trial for a small group" is BS as all my accounts have been limited. So not only are you charging me and the freelancers exorbitant rates, you now what the employers to pay $29.99 per job for the privilege of inviting people we feel are the best fit for our roles. I will not do it and will be leaving the Upwork site as soon as my current contracts have been completed. Being profitable is one thing, ripping people off is beyond acceptable. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steve, 

We understand your concern. Since you are already an active client on Upwork, your experience should not have changed. I will go ahead and escalate this to the team so that it can be investigated further. I'm sorry if this has caused you any inconvenience.

~ Avery
Upwork

John K wrote:
A suggestion for Upwork if I may? If a freelancer declines an invitation, why not return the invite to the client? Otherwise, instead of the intended effect of motivating clients to upgrade, the main effect is likely to be clients closing a job then posting a similar job to get around the 3 invitation limit.

Or, even more likely, abandoning the job altogether and posting it on a job board or one of the dozens of smaller freelancing sites available.

Question: this week I was directly awarded a project with no invitation or prior discussion.  (Totally suitable offer which I accepted, by the way.)  

Although invites are now restricted (without additional payment), I assume that there is no restriction on doing this? So as clients become aware, we may have to be prepared to have projects awarded out of the blue more often? 

This could represent a fundamental change in how Upwork operates for a lot of us. Is this intentional? If so, are there further changes going to be made that relate to this?

mtngigi
Community Member

Kim F wrote:

Question: this week I was directly awarded a project with no invitation or prior discussion.  (Totally suitable offer which I accepted, by the way.)  

Although invites are now restricted (without additional payment), I assume that there is no restriction on doing this? So as clients become aware, we may have to be prepared to have projects awarded out of the blue more often? 

This could represent a fundamental change in how Upwork operates for a lot of us. Is this intentional? If so, are there further changes going to be made that relate to this?

Kim,

Please tell me that this is your Upwork's idea of an early April Fool's joke. Because otherwise, omg.

kfarnell
Community Member

Not sure which bit you mean, but that probably doesn't matter as none of it is a joke. It's long been possible to click 'hire now' on a profile. And it won't take long for people to catch on. 

Oddly, if you read the help pages on how to hire, it isn't mentioned there. So I guess it was easy to forget. Whatever, I'm certainly being far more vigilant in using the 'unavailable' thingy when I get busy.

mtngigi
Community Member

Kim F wrote:

Not sure which bit you mean, but that probably doesn't matter as none of it is a joke. It's long been possible to click 'hire now' on a profile. And it won't take long for people to catch on. 

Oddly, if you read the help pages on how to hire, it isn't mentioned there. So I guess it was easy to forget. Whatever, I'm certainly being far more vigilant in using the 'unavailable' thingy when I get busy.

Oh ... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound flippant.

I don't know what happens when someone clicks "Hire Me" - I've always assumed it's the same as getting an invite and the freelancer has a chance to "interview" and either accept or not. But from what you posted, that's not the case.

I've never had a job awarded to me via the "hire me" button (not that I can remember). So what if it wasn't a job someone wanted to accept? Then what happens? Not expecting you to answer that ... just wondering out loud.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kim, 

Could you please share the Contract ID for this contract so that I can look into this further? 

~ Avery
Upwork
kfarnell
Community Member

I'd rather not. I don't understand what you want to look into. I was offered a contract. I accepted. I'm working on it. There are no issues to resolve.

d320160a
Community Member

I used all 5 of my free invites and 2 freelancers did not respond. Can I replace them somehow so I can send 2 more free invites?

Thanks...

b7331268
Community Member

I have spent over $50,000 on upwork since last year. This is the first feature to get me to look at what the competition is up to. Just an FYI, this would be a red alert for me if Upwork was my business.

I too have hit this ridiculous limit. Hired nearly $50k worth of talent over two businesses in the last couple of years now upwork wants to charge me extra to invite more than three freelancers? In addition, they have taken away all the reporting etc unless you pay a fee each month. It's getting ridiculous. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Simon,

As part of the Basic plan you have access to several reports:

-Transaction report. This gives you a detailed view of all your Upwork transactions. Please, hover your mouse over Reports tab and then click Transactions to access it.
-Freelancer work diaries. Visit the Contract Room for any project to see a freelancer’s Work Diary.
-Weekly Summary email. Account admins will get this weekly email report, which includes details such as the hours logged by your freelancer(s).
Based on data about how clients use reports, we expect that the tools above will give the majority of clients the information they need to manage their projects. However, in cases where clients need more information, we are offering the paid Client Plus plan.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
ee80e53a
Community Member

this is a complete change of the buisness model.

Invites is the only way to advertise the job correctly

after this was realized the buisness model has changed to strangle this path to

the result should eliminate a lot of quick and easy jobs, becuase for jobs

i dont think they want small jobs passing through their site.

it is interesting how upwork likes to censor work.  this is the second incidient that i have had with them.  one of my best freelancers was censored and i can no longer work with him.  now i am suppose to pay $30 to advertise each job.

i love when companies are successfull, run on automation, and use the success to justify more fees by strangling the utility.

it would of made more sense for freelancers to have a variable to block invites after three have been sent out.  if they wanted to control unwanted invites.

i suppose this was the first thing the bouncy girl suggested with a stupid arguement.... noting her purpose is to delivery bad ideas becuase on one will disagree withher bueaty and bubbliness.

when implemented on a test group the rich and  blinded gladdly paided the increase fees, this out weighed the money generated by small jobs.  Therefore the path is expanded to everyone on the system.

the sad part is that the systems essence more effectively helps those that need small jobs and roles filled associated with risk as opposed to those that need long term help that have a stableness behind them.  those that need long term help usually have a steady money stream to support normal hires,  while those exploring and innovating need small jobs and have ultra tight budgets.

a loss for inovation.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths