cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"We will prefer Upworkers from Pakistan" Is this Offending?

qqsolutions
Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
1 of 12

I had posted a job where I mentioned that I need freelancers from Pakistan only. As a client, I know what I am going to give task what type of freelancers I need.

I had posted many jobs and hired freelancers across the glob in recent past. But now I was looking to hire some one from Pakistan.

Upwork suspended my account temporarily , giving me warning on it that it is offending statement.. REALLY??

I can quote here hundereds of jobs on upwork where clients are saying like "US people only" or "Phillipine only" etc.. when these are not offending any one, why it is offending when I asked to hire some one from Pakistan?

Really it is a reason to suspend my account and give me warning on it?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 12

If a client wants to hire contractors from Pakistan, or from any other country, there's nothing wrong with that.

If Upwork is blocking job postings or suspending the accounts of clients who want to hire contractors from Pakistan, then I would say tha their policy is wrong and should be changed.

qqsolutions
Community Guru
3 of 12

Exactly, I was told that this is offending for some freelancers.. very strange indeed. I never feel offended if a client is seeking freelancers from india, USA, or Phillipine. I simply skip that job and move on to next.

Upwork gave me warning on it that I write I need freelancers from Pakistan as essential requirement of my job.

I am waiting for a moderator to look on to matter, and remove that warning from my account back-end. I dont want any warning attached with my account. If i really breach any TOS then give me warning.

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
4 of 12

How on earth can it be offensive to offer work to Pakistani contractors? 

I'm now offended because asking people to post projects where relevant information isn't included AND because disallowing you to express a need for providers from a specific country is discriminatory. Sometimes location does matter. 

I'll be interested to see Upwork's response.

qqsolutions
Community Guru
5 of 12

Exactly, I am waiting for a moderator to response here

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 12

Imagine I want to hire a translator to translate marketing material to be used in Pakistan. I would want a native Urdu speaker living in the country and who knows the local cultural codes. Not someone who lives in London.

Imagine I want to hire a CS agent for Pakistani customers and I want the customers to feel that they speak to a local person, and not to somebody working in a remote call center.

In both cases, I would want to hire a Pakistani contractor and nobody else. I would decline all applicants who are not from Pakistan. What a waste of time and connects if I can't clearly mention this requirement on the job post.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
7 of 12

There was a post recently where someone else raised the same complaint, except the country was Indonesia. Never seems to be a problem if you want someone from the US.

qqsolutions
Community Guru
8 of 12

I hope Vladimir or Valeria will see this post and reply soon

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 12

Hi Muhammad Saif, 

I can see that the support team explained in detail why this is a violation of the TOS, and how you can avoid doing this in the future. 

In the future, you may want to include the location in the preferences section of the job post. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 10.38.47 PM.png

Muhammad Saif UMuhammad Saif U

~ Avery
Upwork
qqsolutions
Community Guru
10 of 12

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

A recent job post where in title client is mentioning that he needs assistant from FRANCE.. Is not it offending for me now? In preferred locations France is not there, I am sure on it..

I can quote you hundreds jobs daily where clients are asking for their preffered country, even preferred city of any county as well.