Did you mean: 

really tired of contractors taking jobs they aren't qualified for

Ace Contributor
Cathy W Member Since: May 29, 2011
11 of 66
I agree as well Marcia!!
Jennifer B Member Since: Aug 2, 2013
12 of 66
I am new to oDesk. I'm a programmer, I got sick and need help to finish some programming in PHP and JavaScript and iron out bugs. I am offering a more than fair price. The applicants don't even read my job description, they are mostly designers that say they know Photoshop. And the few programmers I find want up to $50 an hour (these guys are from Bangladesh and Pakistan and their profiles originally said less than $10 an hour). And they give me URLs as a portfolio. I can't see their PHP skills from a website that they claim to have created. Did I make a mistake offering $200 budget for an estimated 1 day of PHP WordPress coding? I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong or if oDesk is just useless.
Wanda L Member Since: Sep 14, 2011
13 of 66
You'll eventually find someone who will do the work for you in the manner you desire, but it may be a tad bit more costly than you expect. Again, the results you can expect are likely inline with what you are paying for the job. Just remember, "cheap might turn out to be expensive" in the long run.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
14 of 66
Where I live, $50 an hour is cheap for a good programmer. If you are looking for contractors from certain countries because you expect to be able to pay less, then don't expect quality. If you expect quality similar to that which you would produce, then logically, you should be paying a rate close to what you were earning.
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
15 of 66
[quote]If you expect quality similar to that which you would produce, then logically, you should be paying a rate close to what you were earning.[/quote] Wrong, unless you are sticking to hiring in same country as you. But the whole point of Odesk is to find someone with same quality at a lower price.
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
16 of 66
Actually the point is to quickly find someone who can do a job. I didn't see any rule stating I should be working cheaper just for being on a website. I DO agree on the feedback being always visible, tho. As I contractor I prefer it too, becuase I'm the first interested in the client being able to choose with all the data.
Kurischa B Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
17 of 66

You responded to Joseph C.'s comment which is right above yours.  He stated that unless you are in the same country, you should be looking for someone to do the job for less and I agree with Joseph.  I guarantee you that if your price is high and someoen with the same qualifications have a lower price that you will lose the bid.  I happen to want both.  Whoever has the lowest price AND the fastest turn out wins the bid.  Now like someone else stated "it's like speed dating" Just because you charge more money for your services doesn't mean that you are better.  Or an even better example would be an electronic device...just because it costs more doesn't mean it's better.  The expression you pay for what you get can apply sometimes and not always.  The purpose of this site is to pick the best person for the job who fits both criteria of price and job performance.  It is not one or the other.  The original post complains of freelancers boasting of their qualifications when in fact, they're lying.  I find that to be 100% true.  I have hired 3 freelancers ALL at different prices with a $2,000 gap in price and the highest paid freelancer was clueless.  The best thing for clients to do is if you see a problem within the first week and find no solution, cancel the job and start your search again. Demand to see proof of all milestones immediately which includes graphic work, animation AND programming.  I do agree that feedbacks should NOT be removed.  It is how clients determine who to initially interview.

Simon S Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
18 of 66
Why does it matter what they say? Contractors can always remove the negative feedback they get from Clients.
Michelle K Member Since: Sep 25, 2009
19 of 66
I agree with the OP AND I'm an entrepreneur, NOT a graphic web designer, a website coder or a programmer. Do you know how many times I've gotten shoddy work AND that's even from the ones who charge more? I'll repeat what I ALWAYS say... It has NOTHING to do with the price you are paying someone, it has to do WITH THE PERSON. Their integrity, their skill set, intelligence, & their experience. There are tons of liars out there who talk a good game & can convince anyone to hire them & pay them a HUGE hourly rate. They almost always use the "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" card trying to make you feel guilty for even commenting that their rate is too high. Even when I say it's out of my budget (which it is), they make some stupid comment as if I'm going to go rob a bank just to PAY THEM. I've started using that one too. Well sorry, I'm not prepared to rob a bank just for YOU. I've hired people for $10/hr. who were better than the ones who were $20/hr (not talking coders here). I once hired a $45/hr. guy who called himself a web designer & he claimed he knew about AdWords. He ruined the settings in my account & cost me close to $500. I didn't find out what he did until 3 months later. I just hired a website coder for $20/hour & he seems okay, but I won't know how good he is until the next guy comes along & tells me the code looks like crap or doesn't say anything negative & then I know he's good. How many times have I heard that everything behind the scenes on my site looks terrible (talking the code). How many coders have I hired over the years. TONS. True I'm not paying $50/hr., but I once did hire someone for $50/hr. & I don't think he did any better than anyone else. My average budget is around $20-25/hr. I can't afford $50-120/hr. That's the problem with being in charge of websites or being a netrepreneur. For the last 10 years easy I've been telling coders on forums to start a company that will screen other coder's work so entrepreneurs will be able to run their potential hire thru that system & they don't make a mistake & hire a complete moron. No one will listen to me. They say it's b/c your idea of good code & my idea will be different. I say that's BS. Sure you may be more picky than me (I doubt it), but there has to be some average level where people can agree that THIS is good code & this isn't b/c of that reason. Same with site design. Pretty does NOT mean the site is user friendly or will sell or create a call to action. I've only ever come across ONE graphic web designer who knew the ins & outs of site design. Where that button goes & where that nav should go, etc. He even knew about color psychology. I've NEVER heard anyone talk like him since. And of course you shouldn't be paying your staff the same as you LOL, that's just stupid & not good business sense, but if you are desperate & you have to get the job done quickly, you may have to hire someone just for that. Hiring is NOT easy. I once nearly killed myself trying to hire online. I stressed myself out sooo much, & realized that I wasn't even doing any work. All I was doing was wasting time dealing with idiots, who like someone said, don't even read the hiring ad, aren't skilled & are just running around lying about their skills so they can make a buck. I'm a bit better at screening now, but at one point I was putting them thru any normal screening process an offline company would put them through. Well I learned that b/c sooo many online companies aren't professional, don't know how to run a biz, etc., so contractors didn't feel they HAD to be screened. Why should they be screened properly when the last 10 clients they had didn't screen them at all? Why should they have to fill out an online application? These unprofessional companies online (many aren't even real companies) ruin it for all the companies who actually care & want to be professional. If online business people had the same similar structure of an offline company, you'd see a lot less of this aggravation. It is what it is, & I can't change it, only you can if you are a business. STOP hiring idiots. Only hire people who can speak & understand English & are smart. I ONLY hire now from the US. After trying many other people from other countries, I finally gave up. South Africa isn't too bad, I found a great writer from there. And just to be clear, there are plenty of North Americans who can't understand written English either. And make sure you screen them & test them, & demand quality. If you waiver & let them get away with everything, you are just perpetuating the problem. As for oDesk allowing negative reviews to be removed/hidden, they took that concept from Guru (hate them) & I AGREE. What's the point in allowing for negative reviews if the comments can just be removed. I even seen a couple of contractors who got 4 stars & the comment was STILL removed. Why? Because the client was honest & the contractor couldn't handle the truth? It's BAD business oDesk. Michelle P.S. Sorry for the length.
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
20 of 66
[quote=Michelle K.]It has NOTHING to do with the price you are paying someone, it has to do WITH THE PERSON. Their integrity, their skill set, intelligence, & their experience.[/quote] While generally speaking I agree, it's ultimately price/rate that attracts the contractors with integrity, intelligence and experience. [quote=Michelle K.]There are tons of liars out there who talk a good game & can convince anyone to hire them & pay them a HUGE hourly rate. They almost always use the "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" card trying to make you feel guilty for even commenting that their rate is too high. Even when I say it's out of my budget (which it is), they make some stupid comment as if I'm going to go rob a bank just to PAY THEM. I've started using that one too. Well sorry, I'm not prepared to rob a bank just for YOU.[/quote] Frankly, that argument in itself is a red flag, and whoever hires a contractor that justified their rate like that should've seen it coming and knew better. I've negotiated higher rates before, and I didn't succeed because I played cards or told them that they'll get what they pay for but by outlining how I will provide value. Common sense... [quote=Michelle K.]I once hired a $45/hr. guy who called himself a web designer & he claimed he knew about AdWords. He ruined the settings in my account & cost me close to $500. I didn't find out what he did until 3 months later.[/quote] Why would you hire in a field that you have little knowledge of and would have to blindly rely and trust someone? The smarter course of action may be to hire someone that is able to verify the work and is therefore much better positioned to screen contractors in the first place. [quote=Michelle K.]That's the problem with being in charge of websites or being a netrepreneur. For the last 10 years easy I've been telling coders on forums to start a company that will screen other coder's work so entrepreneurs will be able to run their potential hire thru that system & they don't make a mistake & hire a complete moron.[/quote] That argument goes both ways. I'm not sure if it's fair to blame contractors when based on what you wrote, it seems that you chose to be an entrepreneur in a field that you're not skilled in, and due to the lack of skills, can't verify other people's work. Just sayin'... [quote=Michelle K.]Well I learned that b/c sooo many online companies aren't professional, don't know how to run a biz, etc., so contractors didn't feel they HAD to be screened. Why should they be screened properly when the last 10 clients they had didn't screen them at all?[/quote] I find that in life, we typically get what we give. It seems that a lot of your frustrations are rooted in poor communication. Set the right expectations in the job ad itself, mention there will be a screening process, what that process will look like, and focus on the applicants that actually bothered to read it. I found that mentioning there will be a small paid trial and evaluating folks based on the trial was the most efficient way (at least for me) to make good hiring choices. Of course, this requires some basic understanding of the task itself to actually be able to evaluate the work. [quote=Michelle K.]It is what it is, & I can't change it, only you can if you are a business. STOP hiring idiots. Only hire people who can speak & understand English & are smart. I ONLY hire now from the US. After trying many other people from other countries, I finally gave up.[/quote] I did not know that the US was the capital of "smart" - what does that say about you, who seems to be from Canada? Smiley Happy [quote=Michelle K.]As for oDesk allowing negative reviews to be removed/hidden, they took that concept from Guru (hate them) & I AGREE. What's the point in allowing for negative reviews if the comments can just be removed.[/quote] The stars can't be removed without a refund, and do you really have to read the review on a 3 star contract with a hidden review to know what's going on?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS