Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really tired of contractors taking jobs they aren't qualified for

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
21 of 66
TBH, I'm a contractor and I don't understand why are you arguing against what Michelle said. Everything she told sounds very believable and I don't see any wrong behavior on her side. The biggest problem of a site like this one is that there are a lot of people offering to do things they aren't skilled enough to do, and that's not exclusive to the lowest bidders. Yes, the client should be better at selecting, but we must admit the ratings and portfolios on this (and others) website are easy to cheat, and with that in place the client hasn't so many element of judgement.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
22 of 66
I don't know if you are just extremely upset because you have recently had a very bad experience and aren't thinking straight, but if this is normally the way you speak to people you do business with, I can see why you have trouble getting good contractors. You know, I have actually lowered my rate for clients who didn't have much of a budget but were a pleasure to work with. I'm not going to waste my time dealing with difficult, unreasonable clients when I can be spending it improving relationships with good clients or producing and marketing my own work. Oh, and I never meant to imply that you should pay someone less than you earn. What I meant is that someone as skilled as you are in the same field has a right to expect to earn about the same amount. They can bid whatever they want and you can pay whatever you want. However, the value of a piece of work remains the same no matter where it was produced
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 66
[quote=Michelle K.] There are tons of liars out there who talk a good game & can convince anyone to hire them & pay them a HUGE hourly rate. They almost always use the "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" card trying to make you feel guilty for even commenting that their rate is too high. [/Quote] Why argue with a contractor you can not afford? If they charge more than you want to spend find someone else. My answer to clients asking "why do you bid so high?" Is "because I can." End of conversation. [Quote] Even when I say it's out of my budget (which it is), they make some stupid comment as if I'm going to go rob a bank just to PAY THEM. I've started using that one too. Well sorry, I'm not prepared to rob a bank just for YOU.[/quote] Again, why are you having a go at people simply because they won't lower their rates for you? Why the hell SHOULD they, especially with that abrasive attitude and "boss" thinking. There is nothing to argue over. You don't want to pay what they are asking, find someone cheaper. I often wonder what clients are thinking when they try to argue over a price. Who do they think they are? Do they think they are doing me a favour letting me take their contract?? Do they think they are "the boss?" WRONG This is freelancing. No "boss" and if I don't want to work for someone, at their price or at all, then I just won't. I don't have to. And I sure as HELL won't waste my time arguing with some jumped up wanna-be over why my price is what I made it. It is what it is because that is what I want. End of. If that is more than the client wishes to pay that is absolutely fine. No hard feelings.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
24 of 66
[quote=Petra R.]Why argue with a contractor you can not afford? If they charge more than you want to spend find someone else. My answer to clients asking "why do you bid so high?" Is "because I can." End of conversation.[/quote] I have had clients ask me for a quote and tell me it was too high. It happens. We both went on with our lives. Who knows, maybe we will work together in the future, in different circumstances. There is something very wrong if this situation has to turn into an argument.
Highlighted
Cherry M Member Since: Dec 1, 2012
25 of 66
[quote=Michelle K.] And of course you shouldn't be paying your staff the same as you LOL, that's just stupid & not good business sense, but if you are desperate & you have to get the job done quickly, you may have to hire someone just for that. [/quote] I remember your post not so long ago asking how to go about sub-contracting. I wonder if all these have something to do with your frustrations now. I agree that it's about the skill set, personality, etc., of the person, but these come at a price. As you're still an active contractor, I don't want to imagine how much you are offering.
Highlighted
Steve T Member Since: Aug 3, 2013
26 of 66
I am having the same issue. oDesk seems to be infested with scammers. I'm on job #2 with oDesk (same job..different contractor) and am running into the same issue: work isn't getting done & budget is getting blown. I agree that there needs to be some type of professional reference check / screening before bidding on a job. I orinally trusted that the star system was valid here but I'm beginning to think it's all a shell game here at oDesk.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
27 of 66
The stars system is USELESS. The tests are USELESS. Trust only the portfolio and previous client comments, but watch both with care, they can be cheated too. That being said, I honesty think it's not so hard to find a provider here. I watch at the competition and I can tell pretty easy if they are good or not.
Highlighted
Laert B Member Since: Jan 29, 2013
28 of 66
Im a New 5 star Rated Contractor on Odesk! All the client i have got in there were clients who asked me in skype interviews for 2-3 Hours, and i was not tired or bored! Dont you guys do interviews? 2-3 Hours and then you can hire them! As my experience, ****, and some other countries like these have a lot of scam people in their own... So no more *** or whatever! I know that are some good people from these countries, but why should i take that risk??? The other part which i dont understand why the Clients Hire someone with 2-3$/Hour when they knows that the job he is posting has a lot more value? Why do you pretend good results? You will never get a high quality work in that price, Forget it! If you live in US and u are going to outsource some work dont hire people at 2-3$/hour. cmon that's disappointing! At least put the half of its price... Anyway the biggest problem is the CLIENT not the Contractor! *[Removed by Admin]
Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
29 of 66
It's funny that you complain and discriminate people from certain regions (I saw it before it got cleaned up), while you seem to have misstated your own region.
Highlighted
Donna D Member Since: Mar 20, 2013
30 of 66
A quick Google search would also show that his overview is basically the same as the "About Us" of an Indian website. I truly hope he owns the website, so no one can accuse him of say, plagiarism.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS