🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: removing my company from clients due exce...
Page options
therealicedge
Community Member

removing my company from clients due excessive scams

How do I have my company permanently removed as a hiring company on up work?  I've contacted the FBI but am still receiving multiple emails on a daily basis from individuals who are being scammed on this platform using the name of my company.

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jeff:
I am sorry to hear that scammers are copying the name of your company from the Internet and using it when they run their scams.

It is interesting that you contacted the FBI. They can not do anything about what happens on Upwork. And I am certain that they will do nothing as a result of the message you sent them.

You are proposing an interesting idea:
Can a company proactively prevent their name from being used as a hiring company?

First of all, let me assure you that no such functionality currently exists.

In fact, as a frequent participant of the Community Forum, I don't recall ever even seeing such a suggestion. But this IS worth thinking about.

Until something changes, I STRONGLY recommend that you delete all incoming email messages about job offers on Upwork. The people who send you such email messages should NOT be doing so. Those email messages to you serve no productive purpose. You do not owe them a response. This is not your fault.

AndreaG

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I understand this is a frustrating experience for you. I have flagged this to the team and they are investigating the issue.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Thank you so much for your quick response! I originally contacted the fbi because they were able to order checks in the name of my company and tried to use them as part of the scam. I know a number of your users have periodically reported/flagged them but this hasn’t worked it has continued to be an issue for nearly six months.

re: "...they were able to order checks in the name of my company and tried to use them as part of the scam. I know a number of your users have periodically reported/flagged them but this hasn’t worked it has continued to be an issue for nearly six months."

Yes, but this is exactly what the scammers do for everybody, for every company whose name they use. They are simply following a script and a set of instructions. Most of them don't improvise at all.

There is not one scammer or one group of scammers. The scam scripts are shared in the "industry". There are thousands of scammers doing this. Some are solitary operators. But most work as part of organized scam businesses. Often they will go to an office, just like any regular employee, and work on this scam with supervisors and tech support, a break room, etc. This is their job.

Your company's name will be dropped out of rotation according to a regular schedule or when enough scammed freelancers post the name online in association with complaints that googling the name causes reports of the scam to show up.

Hi Jeff, 

A member of the team has reached out to you through your email address to assist you further with your concern. Kindly check your email, or this link in your account to access your support ticket. Please don't hesitate to update the same ticket thread if you have other information you wish to share regarding your concern. 

We hope this gets resolved soon!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths