🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: searching for freelancers who have a disa...
Page options
a02520b8
Community Member

searching for freelancers who have a disability

Our company prefers to hire people with disabilities. Is there a group or forum where we can promote our open jobs?

We make wheelchairs and other assisitve products. Having people who use the products improves our company culture.

Thanks for helping us find the right people. Ideally, we are looking for people in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

33 REPLIES 33
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Our company prefers to hire people with disabilities. Is there a group or forum where we can promote our open jobs? ...Ideally, we are looking for people in Buenos Aires, Argentina."

There is no such group or Forum within the Upwork platform.

However, you are indeed allowed to state in your job posting that you are only looking for freelancers who live in Buenos Aires, or only looking for freelancers who live in Argentina, and/or only looking for freelancers with disabilities. Or you may state that you prefer such.

As you have probably already guessed, a larger-than-normal proportion of Upwork freelancers have disabilities, as compared to other workplaces or demographic groups. Upwork freelancers with disabilities, such as those who are wheelchair-bound, blind, deaf, mute, etc., rarely identify these characteristics in any way on their profile pages. They will typically not even tell clients who hire them about their disabilities.

Thanks Preston. That all makes sense.

You mentioned that "a larger-than-normal proportion of Upwork freelancers have disabilities". How do you know that is the case?

There are ways I know this that I cannot explain here. But it is not a secret. Many Upwork freelancers with disabilities have participated in the Community Forum.

Also, it is fairly obvious. Think about another workplace, such as a police department, or dance studio, or cabinetry shop. And think about Upwork. Which do you think has more workers who are wheelchair bound? Or deaf? Look carefully at my own profile page and work history. How would you know whether or not I myself have a disability?

This is a very interesting topic. Could I give you a call? or email? **Edited for Community Guidelines**

While I very much appreciate the invitation, I am just a regular Upwork user and Forum participant, and as such I communicate with people I meet in the Forum only through regular forum posts.

if you would like to talk to Upwork representatives, you may do so by creating a support desk ticket or sending a private message to a moderator here in the Forum.

If you are interested in hiring people with specialized expertise, which could include expertise about or firsthand experience with disabilities, you may do so through Upwork.com. That would not include me, personally. I do not solicit work in the Forum. Sorry.

Keoke K wrote:

This is a very interesting topic. Could I give you a call? or email? **Edited for Community Guidelines**

All these percentages flying around! 50% is such a very exact figure! How does one define "disability"?  And I wonder how these figures were established. 

Keoke, 

Why don't you contact one of the many international associations that are concerned with inclusivity, who could probably put you in touch with many workers with disablities who would be interested in your business. (I can give you the url of one, but which is mostly concerned with inclusive tourism and urban mobility, but who I am sure would have other contacts.)  

Thanks Nichola.

There are a bunch of these. We are networking through one that is in Argentina. The challenge with these is that they tend to be very locally and in person oriented. Finding a VA is tough. Is your contact for people doing online work?

Keoke K wrote:

Thanks Nichola.

There are a bunch of these. We are networking through one that is in Argentina. The challenge with these is that they tend to be very locally and in person oriented. Finding a VA is tough. Is your contact for people doing online work?

I'll pm you the link. They may be able to help. 

Keoke K wrote:

Thanks Preston. That all makes sense.

You mentioned that "a larger-than-normal proportion of Upwork freelancers have disabilities". How do you know that is the case?

If memory serves well, Upwork's CEO said in a talk last week that 50% of the freelancers in the US have a disability. Not on Upwork, but in the whole country. Most are freelancers because it's the easiest way for them to work.

Freelancing and remote work makes a difference for people with disabilities.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

50% of all FLers with a disability seems high IMHO.  Unless one includes corporate burnout and age (discrimination in hiring) as two forms of disability.  I'd like to see stats to back up the quoted 50%.

Keoke, kudos and applause to your organization for striving to hire people with disabilities.  My questioning of the % is on an entirely different level.

Another suggestion if Nichola's don't yield results would be to contact HR Fair Hiring Practitioners who own their companies and ask for their advice.  LinkedIn should show you a bunch of potentials.

If you private message me (click on my name and then on Send Private Message) I can put you in touch with one.

I'm sure 50% is intended as an "inspirational" number and not a "factual" number. It is not meant to interpreted literally.

Preston, pray tell what could possibly be 'inspirational' about inflating the %? 

When one quotes or cites statistics they are supposed to adhere to facts.  Not fake facts aka news.

Wendy: I mean that I don't necessarily believe the number is a "real" number or a number "based in fact."

It is more of a number stated for a "rhetorical" or "inspirational" purpose. I am NOT saying that the number inspires you personally. I am just trying to characterize what TYPE of number it is.

And I am only talking about the number based on Rene's post. I have not looked into the actual speech or comment that Rene is referencing. Perhaps he is recalling that number incorrectly. In which case this is a moot point.

But if somebody told me that fifty percent of all freelancers in the United States are disabled, I would regard not that as a "factual" statistic. I would regard that as a number chosen to illustrate a point or inspire listeners to take a certain action or be persuaded of a certain point.

Preston H wrote:

Wendy: I mean that I don't necessarily believe the number is a "real" number or a number "based in fact."

It is more of a number stated for a "rhetorical" or "inspirational" purpose. I am NOT saying that the number inspires you personally. I am just trying to characterize what TYPE of number it is.

And I am only talking about the number based on Rene's post. I have not looked into the actual speech or comment that Rene is referencing. Perhaps he is recalling that number incorrectly. In which case this is a moot point.

But if somebody told me that fifty percent of all freelancers in the United States are disabled, I would regard not that as a "factual" statistic. I would regard that as a number chosen to illustrate a point or inspire listeners to take a certain action or be persuaded of a certain point.

This has to be one of the most casuistic arguments for the use or rather, misuse of statistics I have ever read! You should also not cast doubt on another freelancer's ability to "recall" something without substantiation.  

Even if 50% of the American working population is disabled (which I doubt), this cannot be claimed for Upwork which is a global platform (or it used to be). I would really love to know how you come to the conclusion that “a larger-than-normal proportion of Upwork freelancers have disabilities” and then come over as one who cannot reveal their sources.

And what is "normal"? An "inspirational" 50%?

BRAVA, Nichola.  Finally, some rational and logical repartee in rebuttal to the utter nonsensical, pedantic, and erroneous statements made in the forums.

Amen to Nichola and Wendy, my sisters from another mother!

Your sistas and kalabash cousins (and Ohana) thank you, Mary.  😉

Nichola L wrote:

Even if 50% of the American working population

It's not the working population. It's half of the remote workforce that claims some disability. I'm speaking from memory. @Avery, you may want to send an e-mail to Stéphane, the CEO, he's got some specific figures I believe.

-----------

Here's some more specifics:

Nearly half of freelancers (46%) agreed freelancing gives them the flexibility they need because they’re unable to work for a traditional employer due to personal circumstances.

Freelancing in America 2019 

Granted personal circumstances can be more than disability.

-----------

Rene K wrote:

Nearly half of freelancers (46%) agreed freelancing gives them the flexibility they need because they’re unable to work for a traditional employer due to personal circumstances.

Freelancing in America 2019 

Granted personal circumstances can be more than disability.

Exactly. Not being able (or allowed) to drive, living remotely or wanting to live somewhere with few employment opportunities, having to care for family members, not having access to affordable childcare etc etc. Having a disability would be one of many such "personal circumstances."

That said, it is pretty logical that freelancing from home might be seen as an attractive option to many people with a disability.

Innumerable studies have concluded that productivity, and incidentally, creativity, increases when working from home (remotely). The same has proven true for flex hours and the 4-day work-week. In all cases, sick days, etc. diminish at an astounding rate.

Its a win-win for everyone.  Less overhead for companies; improved work-life balance for all directly and indirectly impacted.

However - there is a humongous difference in the needs parameters between those with disabilities and those without.  Please - do not blindly quote stats as dictum unless you think it through.

Please I'm available 

Great Initiative Preston Sir, Sure I will let you know if I find any disabled freelancers in my area.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Keoke, 

This is truly inspiring! I'll try to check around to see if there's anyone in the team who can assist you with this. I'll come back here if I have more information!

~ Avery
Upwork
a02520b8
Community Member

Thanks Avery. Much appreciated. 🙂

I have a profound loss hearing disability. I got my first job on Upwork in two days. I completed it in 48 hours and got paid.
However, I was told to have an online video chat with Upwork representative for continuing work with Upwork. I told them my hearing issue but I was forced to have a video chat. Does Upwork have any rules for the disabled?

re: "However, I was told to have an online video chat with Upwork representative for continuing work with Upwork. I told them my hearing issue but I was forced to have a video chat. Does Upwork have any rules for the disabled?"

Mariam:

Upwork doesn't care if you are hearing-impaired. Upwork is one of the greatest work opportunities anywhere for people with hearing impairment.

The video chat you are asking about? It's not a speaking or listening test. Really all they want to do is see your face, and make sure that it matches what you put on your profile page.

You are welcome to discuss your disability beforehand... before the scheduled interview.

But I dont think you need to do that. Just schedule the interview. When you do the interview, speak as well as you are able to. If you need to write things on a piece of paper and hold it up to the screen, then do that. Tell the interviewer: "I am deaf. If you show your screen, I can read anything you write on a piece of paper and hold up."

Maybe they will just look at your face on screen, and look at your profile page photo, and say: "Thank you. You passed."

Hi Mariam,

I checked and see that you've already completed the Video Verification. In general, freelancers are able to chat with an agent before they get on a video call and share any concerns they may have.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
836bd4f7
Community Member

I want to contact you, I am a disabled person since 2013, now I am looking for a job... I have expertise in digital marketing, Shopify, Amazon Va and Wordpress development... Is there anyone who can help me? 

They are no longer on Upwork, at least with the profile listed.

You can have the disability-owned certification. Look towards the bottom of your profile, and you will find different niches, including disability.

5cbf2861
Community Member

I am a disabled person. I am a professional writer. I can write articles and stories well I am also a professional translator. I can translate all languages. And after that Can also convert tax to PDF.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This is an old, outdated post.

b0b5fd7d
Community Member

Great Initiative Keoke Sir, Sure I will let you know if I find any disabled freelancers in my area.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths