cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

searching for freelancers who have a disability

Keoke K Member Since: Nov 29, 2019
1 of 24

Our company prefers to hire people with disabilities. Is there a group or forum where we can promote our open jobs?

We make wheelchairs and other assisitve products. Having people who use the products improves our company culture.

Thanks for helping us find the right people. Ideally, we are looking for people in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 24

re: "Our company prefers to hire people with disabilities. Is there a group or forum where we can promote our open jobs? ...Ideally, we are looking for people in Buenos Aires, Argentina."

There is no such group or Forum within the Upwork platform.

However, you are indeed allowed to state in your job posting that you are only looking for freelancers who live in Buenos Aires, or only looking for freelancers who live in Argentina, and/or only looking for freelancers with disabilities. Or you may state that you prefer such.

As you have probably already guessed, a larger-than-normal proportion of Upwork freelancers have disabilities, as compared to other workplaces or demographic groups. Upwork freelancers with disabilities, such as those who are wheelchair-bound, blind, deaf, mute, etc., rarely identify these characteristics in any way on their profile pages. They will typically not even tell clients who hire them about their disabilities.

3 of 24

Thanks Preston. That all makes sense.

You mentioned that "a larger-than-normal proportion of Upwork freelancers have disabilities". How do you know that is the case?

Community Guru
4 of 24

There are ways I know this that I cannot explain here. But it is not a secret. Many Upwork freelancers with disabilities have participated in the Community Forum.

Also, it is fairly obvious. Think about another workplace, such as a police department, or dance studio, or cabinetry shop. And think about Upwork. Which do you think has more workers who are wheelchair bound? Or deaf? Look carefully at my own profile page and work history. How would you know whether or not I myself have a disability?

5 of 24

This is a very interesting topic. Could I give you a call? or email? **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
6 of 24

While I very much appreciate the invitation, I am just a regular Upwork user and Forum participant, and as such I communicate with people I meet in the Forum only through regular forum posts.

if you would like to talk to Upwork representatives, you may do so by creating a support desk ticket or sending a private message to a moderator here in the Forum.

If you are interested in hiring people with specialized expertise, which could include expertise about or firsthand experience with disabilities, you may do so through Upwork.com. That would not include me, personally. I do not solicit work in the Forum. Sorry.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 24

Keoke K wrote:

This is a very interesting topic. Could I give you a call? or email? **Edited for Community Guidelines**

All these percentages flying around! 50% is such a very exact figure! How does one define "disability"?  And I wonder how these figures were established. 

Keoke, 

Why don't you contact one of the many international associations that are concerned with inclusivity, who could probably put you in touch with many workers with disablities who would be interested in your business. (I can give you the url of one, but which is mostly concerned with inclusive tourism and urban mobility, but who I am sure would have other contacts.)  

8 of 24

Thanks Nichola.

There are a bunch of these. We are networking through one that is in Argentina. The challenge with these is that they tend to be very locally and in person oriented. Finding a VA is tough. Is your contact for people doing online work?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 24

Keoke K wrote:

Thanks Nichola.

There are a bunch of these. We are networking through one that is in Argentina. The challenge with these is that they tend to be very locally and in person oriented. Finding a VA is tough. Is your contact for people doing online work?

I'll pm you the link. They may be able to help. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 24

Keoke K wrote:

Thanks Preston. That all makes sense.

You mentioned that "a larger-than-normal proportion of Upwork freelancers have disabilities". How do you know that is the case?

If memory serves well, Upwork's CEO said in a talk last week that 50% of the freelancers in the US have a disability. Not on Upwork, but in the whole country. Most are freelancers because it's the easiest way for them to work.

Freelancing and remote work makes a difference for people with disabilities.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS