cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

searching for freelancers who have a disability

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
11 of 24

50% of all FLers with a disability seems high IMHO.  Unless one includes corporate burnout and age (discrimination in hiring) as two forms of disability.  I'd like to see stats to back up the quoted 50%.

Keoke, kudos and applause to your organization for striving to hire people with disabilities.  My questioning of the % is on an entirely different level.

Another suggestion if Nichola's don't yield results would be to contact HR Fair Hiring Practitioners who own their companies and ask for their advice.  LinkedIn should show you a bunch of potentials.

If you private message me (click on my name and then on Send Private Message) I can put you in touch with one.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 24

I'm sure 50% is intended as an "inspirational" number and not a "factual" number. It is not meant to interpreted literally.

Community Guru
13 of 24

Preston, pray tell what could possibly be 'inspirational' about inflating the %? 

When one quotes or cites statistics they are supposed to adhere to facts.  Not fake facts aka news.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 24

Wendy: I mean that I don't necessarily believe the number is a "real" number or a number "based in fact."

It is more of a number stated for a "rhetorical" or "inspirational" purpose. I am NOT saying that the number inspires you personally. I am just trying to characterize what TYPE of number it is.

And I am only talking about the number based on Rene's post. I have not looked into the actual speech or comment that Rene is referencing. Perhaps he is recalling that number incorrectly. In which case this is a moot point.

But if somebody told me that fifty percent of all freelancers in the United States are disabled, I would regard not that as a "factual" statistic. I would regard that as a number chosen to illustrate a point or inspire listeners to take a certain action or be persuaded of a certain point.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 24

Preston H wrote:

Wendy: I mean that I don't necessarily believe the number is a "real" number or a number "based in fact."

It is more of a number stated for a "rhetorical" or "inspirational" purpose. I am NOT saying that the number inspires you personally. I am just trying to characterize what TYPE of number it is.

And I am only talking about the number based on Rene's post. I have not looked into the actual speech or comment that Rene is referencing. Perhaps he is recalling that number incorrectly. In which case this is a moot point.

But if somebody told me that fifty percent of all freelancers in the United States are disabled, I would regard not that as a "factual" statistic. I would regard that as a number chosen to illustrate a point or inspire listeners to take a certain action or be persuaded of a certain point.

This has to be one of the most casuistic arguments for the use or rather, misuse of statistics I have ever read! You should also not cast doubt on another freelancer's ability to "recall" something without substantiation.  

Even if 50% of the American working population is disabled (which I doubt), this cannot be claimed for Upwork which is a global platform (or it used to be). I would really love to know how you come to the conclusion that “a larger-than-normal proportion of Upwork freelancers have disabilities” and then come over as one who cannot reveal their sources.

And what is "normal"? An "inspirational" 50%?

Community Guru
16 of 24

BRAVA, Nichola.  Finally, some rational and logical repartee in rebuttal to the utter nonsensical, pedantic, and erroneous statements made in the forums.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
17 of 24

Amen to Nichola and Wendy, my sisters from another mother!

Community Guru
18 of 24

Your sistas and kalabash cousins (and Ohana) thank you, Mary.  Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
19 of 24

Nichola L wrote:

Even if 50% of the American working population

It's not the working population. It's half of the remote workforce that claims some disability. I'm speaking from memory. @Avery, you may want to send an e-mail to Stéphane, the CEO, he's got some specific figures I believe.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
20 of 24

Here's some more specifics:

Nearly half of freelancers (46%) agreed freelancing gives them the flexibility they need because they’re unable to work for a traditional employer due to personal circumstances.

Freelancing in America 2019 

Granted personal circumstances can be more than disability.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS