🐈
» Forums » Clients » seriously doubting upwork
Page options
7994af01
Community Member

seriously doubting upwork

I hired someone a couple of weeks ago for the first time on here. I got a few quotes but its always the first  contact that makes the first impressions. Don't get me wrong, the first just seem to be more keen for the the job and enthusiastic which is what I like and the type of people I work well with.  The upwork subcontractor I chose was the the first to conact me and he seemed very honest and hardworking with all the skills while also demnding the going rate. It certainly ticked alll my boxes.

He looked through my  job proposal and he advised it was slightly over budget so I planned for it to start again in 6 months when I have organised a bigger buget. He was very helpful to advise.

He picked trough the brief to see what he could do under the budget and did about 8hours and I was very happy with his work and l Ieft 5 stared feed back and had plans to work with him again bearing in mind he has worked on the project and now has knowledge of which I've paid for.

Soooooooo what could go wrong?

11 REPLIES 11
versailles
Community Member

@Jody S wrote:

Soooooooo what could go wrong?

Did something go wrong for you to doubt Upwork? 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

He got is account blocked even though I was happy with the work and paid the going price. All I can think of is that he is based in the Ukrain. It's hardly an inclusive environment if thats the reason and to be honest has put me off a bit.

prestonhunter
Community Member

What could go wrong?

Millions of things could go wrong.

But according to your description, nothing has gone wrong so far.

I'm not sure what you are worried about.

Continue to do what you have done:

Monitor and review the work that has been turned in.

If you like the work and feel you are getting a good value, then continue to work with the freelancer.

If you don't like the work, then stop working with that freelancer.

I was happy with his his work and it was a big step for me to out source this type of work as I am very behine in my IT skills. I am busy up dating my IT skills but its so much to learn and I run a business byself and I am learning on code acadamy but  I have now traped nerves in my elbows which I think is from working too much at my desk so came here to sub out the most important jobs out and someone was reaaaaaly helpful and very good but now he is blocked.

😞

I think there are freelancers out there that is just as good and more legit than that guy.

Hieu T
Vietnamese translator

Jody:

Freelancers from ALMOST everywhere are allowed to work on Upwork.

Almost.

Upwork's website currently states:

The US government says we can’t allow users on our site from: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria or the region of Crimea.

What is "Crimea." You can look that up for yourself, but I can well imagine someone saying:

Freelancers from PARTS of Ukraine are allowed to Upwork. But not from ALL of Ukraine.

That MIGHT be the issue you're facing.

Maybe Hieu, but the big step for me was trusting him and he was good and didn't go over budget so in my eyes he didn't betray my trust. If I have to go through this again with anothether subcontractor  I may not be so lucky, I'm sure you can understand that trust is a major player.

Jody,  instinct sez that Preston is right.  Sadly, the Crimea restriction is beyond Upwork's ability to control as it is federally implemented.  I know this doesn't help you but ...

It does help me Wendy, thanks.

Upwork reversed the payment on my credit card so I will have to pay the subcontrator by paypal after phoning the credit card company to check that its been credited. Upwork didn't reverse their commision though, thats allready gone through.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jody, 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I would recommend against paying the freelancer off the platform as  the actions have been taken against the freelancer's account for violating the Upwork User Agreement. Also, paying off the platform is in violation of the same User Agreement.

~ Avery
Upwork

Jody,  I think you should email a moderator on this thread and ask for assistance.  The commission should be returned to you as the Crimea restriction came into play long before your contract began. If Upwork allowed the freelancer to use the platform - despite the federal restriction - they are responsible. Not you. And, as such, from my point of view, you and the freelancer can do whatever works for both of you.

As a freelancer I must add, if you choose to work directly (which is against ToS- IF U. were NOT REMISS in failing to vet/check the provider's location in compliance with federal law - be sure to not pay for for future work (if any) before delivery.  And make sure everything works perfectly prior to paying.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths