cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should clients be rated on their average hiring time?

Ryan P Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
1 of 17

Freelancers are encouraged to respond to invitations to interview within 24 hours, because we don't want to inconveniece the clients. However, clients can sit on a job for an indefinite period of time without hiring a freelancer. I think that clients should be rated on their hiring responsiveness and it should be visible to the freelancers.

When I send out a proposal or respond to an invitation to interview, I need the work. If I could see a client's average hiring time, then I could be more selective and send proposals to clients who would be more likely to make a decision quickly.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 17

I see no downside to this idea.

Good points and good ideas.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 17

I don't call for any restrictions on clients that aren't in place now, and I understand it that sometimes it can take a while to hire, and sometimes one can't find the right candidate.

But I agree with the sentiment that clients often take too long to hire.

I believe a more successful strategy is to be quicker to hire and quicker to fire.

If a client understands and embraces how easy it is to fire people, then he does not need to be so hesitant in hiring them in the first place.

On many occasions as a client, I have posted a job, hired somebody, had them complete the job, and closed the job all within an hour. Upwork makes this very, very possible. It is an amazing tool for clients when you know how to use it.

Ace Contributor
João P Member Since: May 23, 2017
4 of 17

Good idea,

At the moment, I prefer to save the job and wait at least 24hrs. If the client isn't already interviewing or there's no message showing when was the last time they checked the job post, I won't apply.

It's nowhere near to a perfect solution - and I lose a lot of jobs in the process (it's is impossible to apply this to urgent jobs) - but I managed to save a few connects by using this method.

Also, a lot of clients post the same job across multiple platforms and the selection process is usually exausting. So I can appreciate the lack of responsiveness, but when we have a limited amount of proposals, all the information is essential to decide where to spend your time and connects.

Ace Contributor
Andreea B Member Since: Nov 1, 2014
5 of 17

@João P wrote:

Good idea,

At the moment, I prefer to save the job and wait at least 24hrs. If the client isn't already interviewing or there's no message showing when was the last time they checked the job post, I won't apply.

From personal experience only I can tell you that I never landed a job that was more than 30 minutes old when I applied. At least that is how it was when I first started, so I just kept to the habit of only applying to jobs that have been posted in the last half an hour. I even go on a job hunt only when I know the right client base would be online.

Maybe it's not a correct assumption, but alas...I wouldn't want to wait 1 hour, not to mention 1 day to apply.

Ace Contributor
João P Member Since: May 23, 2017
6 of 17

Hi Andreea,

Completely valid point. After a few months on Upwork I'm still trying different approaches to see what works best. I prefer to save job posts, read carefully all the details (I usually choose extensive, thorough posts) and adapt my proposal to the exact specifications.

Since I customize all my proposals, It's difficult for me to fully understand the scope of the project and write something interesting under 30 min. Nontheless, it's a good tip - might use that approach on the next batch of connects! Smiley Happy

Ace Contributor
Andreea B Member Since: Nov 1, 2014
7 of 17

@Ryan P wrote:

I think that clients should be rated on their hiring responsiveness and it should be visible to the freelancers.

I really do hope the Upwork staff takes this into consideration. It's a really good idea. The response time from clients has been discussed by the community many times.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 17

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for sharing your suggestion, we'll forward the feedback and rational users shared on this thread with the team for further consideration.

Ryan P Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
9 of 17

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for sharing your suggestion, we'll forward the feedback and rational users shared on this thread with the team for further consideration.

Thanks Vladamir. I know this isn't a silver bullet as there are many factors that go into hiring the right candidate, but it would be helpful for freelancers to have another tool at their disposal. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 17

That would be an interesting metric. Response time for clients. Not bad. I don't think it would matter to me if I bid, but hey if it gets rid of some competition in the queue, I'm for it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS