cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should clients be rated on their average hiring time?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 17

Absolutely not. Many of my best long-term clients have responded to proposals a week to six weeks after the initial proposal. I've made thousands of dollars each from several of these clients. Professionals hire when they find the right person, not as a game of beat the clock. The last thing I'd ever want would be to work with someone who was more concerned with a quick hire than quality and fit.

Perhaps the answer would be to manage your business more like a business and not wait until you "need work" to start filling that pipeline.

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
12 of 17

@Tiffany S wrote:

Absolutely not. Many of my best long-term clients have responded to proposals a week to six weeks after the initial proposal. I've made thousands of dollars each from several of these clients. Professionals hire when they find the right person, not as a game of beat the clock. The last thing I'd ever want would be to work with someone who was more concerned with a quick hire than quality and fit.

Perhaps the answer would be to manage your business more like a business and not wait until you "need work" to start filling that pipeline.

I can't understand why you object to that. Unlike some other people responding to the original post I prefer clients that hire after waiting for some time to see ALL the applicants, start to shortlist and select the right candidate for them. This sometimes takes a week sometimes 3-4 weeks.

People hiring in the next hour are almost always hire for small jobs. I prefer when my clients choose me after some consideration. These always became long lasting relations for me and I didn't waste my connects and application time. If they chose one of the other 50+ people then I know they found someone more suitable for their business model.

Maybe the title should be changed here. Clients shouldn't be RATED. This is not a rating, it is just an information for freelancers to find what they are looking for. For example if a client's average hiring time is 5 weeks and we can see that, there wouldn't be as many complaints about jobs being kept open for a long time. We already know their hiring rate. So this would be a great improvement for freelancers and clients to find people that have similar expectations.

I really would like Upwork to consider this option if it won't make the site need maintenance every other day. It would really make a big difference.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 17

re: "People hiring in the next hour are almost always hire for small jobs."

Yeah... that's probably true most of the time.

Lots of freelancers like small jobs, though. I'm glad there's a mix.

On Saturday I posted an hourly job. I had to wait about 5 minutes for somebody to apply. I clicked on the "Hire" button when I saw their proposal.

Zero interview. We went right to work on the project.

3 hours later the work was done and I closed the contract.

I assume this was a freelancer that likes working on short, immediate jobs.

Maybe "rating" is the wrong word. I don't think a client is "better" or "worse" depending on how long it takes them to make a hiring decision. But if Upwork posted information about how long clients take to make hiring decisions, it would help different types of freelancers make decisions.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 17

Agree, Baris--if it's simply one piece of information that has no negative impact on clients and puts no pressure on clients to act quickly, then I'm fine with it. I'm in favor of everyone having the information they need to make good decisions for their businesses. I am not in favor of policies that reward or penalize based on some freelancers' personal preferences.

Ryan P Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
15 of 17

Maybe the title should be changed here. Clients shouldn't be RATED. This is not a rating, it is just an information for freelancers to find what they are looking for. For example if a client's average hiring time is 5 weeks and we can see that, there wouldn't be as many complaints about jobs being kept open for a long time. We already know their hiring rate. So this would be a great improvement for freelancers and clients to find people that have similar expectations.

I really would like Upwork to consider this option if it won't make the site need maintenance every other day. It would really make a big difference.

Hi Baris,

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that my choice of words was not optimal for what I intended to convey. This is just a number. It's not a judgment of how good or bad a client is, it is just a number. And it may be way off if a client decides to vary from their normal hiring patterns. Just because a client's average hiring time is 5 weeks doesn't mean they won't hire in one week or vice versa if the job merits more or less time to find the right candidate.

I don't necessarily think this will help freelancers and clients to find people that have similar expectations, because the expectation of the freelancer is not known. If there was a dropdown box for the freelancer to select a timeline within which they would prefer to be hired, then this may be a possibility.

Regarding the metric itself, the median hiring time would probably be more accurate than the average.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
16 of 17

As a client I'm not sure I love this idea. Sometimes I hire very quickly and sometimes it takes a couple of days and sometimes it takes a couple of weeks. Let's say my average is 4 days, but I post a job I want to hire for very quickly. I'd hate for good freelancers to miss out because they take their time crafting a careful proposal, thinking they have plenty of time. On the other hand, what if I want to take my time and freelancers who have applied start harrassing me or withdrawing proposals?

I can see how it might be useful to some freelancers in some situations but I'm not convinced.

Ryan P Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
17 of 17

@Jennifer D wrote:

As a client I'm not sure I love this idea. Sometimes I hire very quickly and sometimes it takes a couple of days and sometimes it takes a couple of weeks. Let's say my average is 4 days, but I post a job I want to hire for very quickly. I'd hate for good freelancers to miss out because they take their time crafting a careful proposal, thinking they have plenty of time. On the other hand, what if I want to take my time and freelancers who have applied start harrassing me or withdrawing proposals?

I can see how it might be useful to some freelancers in some situations but I'm not convinced.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your feedback. I do not intend this to apply pressure on clients to hire more quickly than the job requires. Each job is unique and requires a certain amount of care to find the right freelancer. If this is implemented, I certainly hope they put a disclaimer on it that says the average or median hiring time is only a frame of reference and is not in any way, shape, or form, a guarantee.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS