🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: unable to authorize credit card
Page options
eastham-nicholas
Community Member

unable to authorize credit card

in the past months we have made multiple Upwork payments with our credit card. As of yesterday we get the following message:

Sorry, we are unable to authorize this credit card. Please check the card information or try another card. Questions? Contact us.

All card details are unchanged and still correct. Also the card is still valid (not expired).

We want to continue using this company credit card and don't want to change it.

What can we do? 

48 REPLIES 48
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nicholas, 

I just investigate this and looks like everything is working on our end. You might want to check with your bank about the card if there is a problem. 
If they say that everything is ok, contact me in a PM or customer support with details about this.

~ Goran
Upwork

thanks Goran, all clear.

BTW: how do I contact 'Customer Support' ?

Thanks,

Nicholas

I'm having the same problem, please help!

Hi Ramchandramani,

Could you please share the text of the error you`re receiving on your end? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, it's saying Unauthorized card, but last week I did payment through this credit card. Please help.

''We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank.''- this is an error I'm getting while doing payments and even I can't purchase connect nor upgrade my plus membership. I did purchased connects on the last 9th of June by the same credit card and now it's giving me this error. Please kindly show me some way! 

Hi Ramchandramani,

I checked this for you and was not able to replicate the issue you're experiencing. Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue? Please use this link to see the options available to you and add one of those. 

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, I'm trying to hire a freelancer on Upwork but it's not accepting my MasterCard for payment method, you can see in the image below attached. It says we unable to authorize your card

I'm also a freelancer in Upwork and I know we can not pay another freelancer from our balance.

42b3f5cd-1dd4-4d83-92a8-916ee3ad9acf.jpg

Hi Zain,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please make sure your card is set up to make international payments and has sufficient funds on it to complete the funding. 

Please contact your card-issuing bank to confirm if they allow recurring transactions on your debit cards as Upwork payments are classified as ‘recurring’.

~ Nikola
Upwork
b8c22e07
Community Member

Sorry, we couldn't add your card. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

I am receiving this error while adding my card in billing method.

Sorry, we are unable to authorize this credit card. Please check the card information or try another card. Questions? Contact us. i got this error and unable to send money to freelancer please help.

Hi Munneeb,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your billing method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I've hired a freelancer on Upwork and want to place my first order but I'm getting error like
Sorry we're unable to authorise this credit card please check the card information or try another card. Question?contact us
(I'm using my visa debit card)

Hi Zain,

I checked and it looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please make sure your card is set up to make international payments and has sufficient funds on it to complete the funding. Please contact your card-issuing bank to confirm if they allow recurring transactions on your debit cards as Upwork payments are classified as ‘recurring’.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello I'm having this problem when trying to pay one of your freelancers. 

"The payment method you submitted could not be authorized. Please try using another one or contact Customer Support."

Hi Manuel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a016b8c2
Community Member

Hi Luiggi,

I am facing payment method issue or you can say transaction issue as I proceed to funds and hire freelancer I get "Sorry something went wrongg at our end.Refresh the page and try again" as I refresh it.I get "Sorry,we couldn't charge the billing method you selected please try  different one".I am facing this issue since 7 oct kindly help me resolve this.

Hi Ilham,

I checked your account but couldn't find any payment method or recent transactions. Are you referring to another or a different account? Could you please send us more information about your concern so that we can assist you accordingly and more efficiently? Looking forward to your response.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello Manuel. Does your Payment issue solved ? My client also getting same error when he try to make payment. And it was exactly same day, 8 october.

hello i have an issue with my client payment i cant make offers or creat contracts it returns Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one , and my card doesn't have any issue and its working fine 

Hi Fares,

I checked and it looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please make sure your card is set up to make international payments and has sufficient funds on it to complete the funding. Please contact your card-issuing bank to confirm if they allow recurring transactions on your cards as Upwork payments are classified as ‘recurring’.

I can also see that you've raised a ticket regarding your concern and it's been forwarded to the appropriate team for review. Please allow them time to review your case and you should be getting an update on your ticket here.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Facing the same issue, this is the worst payment method I have ever seen on such kind of big platform. I have tried my all 3 bank accounts and card but still facing this issue even though Every card of mine belongs to a different bank

Hi Sharjeel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Sorry, we couldn't add your card. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

I am receiving this error while adding my card in billing method.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
06644d81
Community Member

Hello, I’ve tried buy a service using Upwork, the payment was taken from my card but then reverted and on Upwork it says “sorry, we couldn’t charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact support.” I’ve tried PayPal and card both don’t work. They both give the same issue. I’ve spoken to my bank thinkings it’s their problem but they’ve told me it’s a problem in your end as their releasing the money but your not accepting it. Please sort this out immediately as I want to purchase a service

Hi Salman,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
06644d81
Community Member

Hi Joanne, how long would it take as I want to buy from this seller!

Hi Salman,

Support requests are responded to in the order they are received. As soon as the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nicholas,

Please go to this Link, at the bottom click on the green button Get Help from Upwork. After you fill up the suggested fields in the new pop up you will be asked if you want to chat/submit via ticket/phone or ask on community. You can chose the best option for yourself.

~ Goran
Upwork

I tried that route a few times, but the option chat / phone / email does not appear. These are the only options:

• Discuss with Upwork Communit
  • Read Tips on Upwork Hiring Headquarter

So, it's kind of difficult to get in touch with Upwork.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nicholas, 

That should not be the case, can you send a screenshot from your end. On my end i have the 4 options that i mentioned below. It might be an error we had a while back, i will have one of our team members have a closer look on this.

If you want to open a ticket now send me the details in a PM and I will open it for you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I had a PayPal payment process and then tried the very same PayPal and it won't process, I've tried cards that have plenty of limit and none are currently working. If this keeps happening I will go to payoneer, this is beyond frustrating. 

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having. I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
michael_design1
Community Member

IAM also having the same problem how can it be resolved?

Hi Michael,

I checked, and it looks like the payment method has been declined. Please reach out to your issuing bank so that they can assist you with the specific decline error. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi'

I got " The payment method you submitted could not be authorized etc.. "but the money withdrawn . So is the money gonna back automarically to my account ?

Hi there,

I checked your account but couldn't find any payment method or recent transactions. Are you referring to another account? Could you please send us more information about your concern?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi

I do from this email **Edited for Community Guidelines** 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths