🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: unable to pay through visa card
Page options
1a4a1c9a
Community Member

unable to pay through visa card

"We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank" This message appears when i try to pay through my debit card. whats the issue? and how can i fix it.

36 REPLIES 36
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "This message appears when i try to pay through my debit card. whats the issue? and how can i fix it."

Sorry about that. But you can't use your debit card.

Upwork needs you to use a regular credit car that isn't a debit card.

When you try to use your debit card, the Upwork system is automatically checking to see if it is a debit card, and it is rejecting it.

But in payment options there is no such condition of "Proper credit card". Please further elaborate it.

Furthermore i have visa debit card

Only credit card.

Hieu T
Vietnamese translator

Some debit cards may work. Most won't. Regardless of what that form says, Upwork's documentation elsewhere states that some types of cards can't be used.

Read:

Billing Methods

"Upwork accepts Visa, Mastercard, and American Express cards. Virtual card numbers, gift cards, and Prepaid cards are not accepted."

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad, 

I would like to confirm that virtual card numbers, gift cards, and prepaid cards are not accepted on the platform. Please check out this help article to know which methods are available on the platform.

~ Avery
Upwork

I have master card but i am facing same error.?

Plug and play WordPress developer.

Hi Zaheer,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to set up your payment method. For more details about payment methods available on Upwork and how to set up a new payment method, check out our this guide, thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

"We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank" This message appears when i try to pay through my visa Debit card. whats the issue? and how can i fix it.

Hi Musawir,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

why dont they use debit cards

Hi Preston this is not exactly right.  I have the exact same problem when adding my business visa debit card as a payment method.  But I can add my personal visa debit card.

I really don't want to do this, to keep my prsonal and business finances separate.

PS - the Business Bank I use have no idea why this doesn't work.

Mark

Hi Mark,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your business billing method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
10b202af
Community Member

hy

2591126f
Community Member

In India only some debit cards can be used on international websites moreover it needs to be enabled for international use before it can be used on international website.

I do not know about your location, but in case you think this is a possibility in your case ask your bank to issue an international debit card and enable it for use and then try.

Hello Vivek sir,

which debit card ( bank name ) is best in India for an international transaction like on upwork or any other platform, and which credit card ( bank name ) is better.

Vishal J wrote:

Hello Vivek sir,

which debit card ( bank name ) is best in India for an international transaction like on upwork or any other platform, and which credit card ( bank name ) is better.

Hi Vishal, Sorry for late Reply. 

HDFC/ICICI both provides debit and credit card for international use. This is not to suggest that other banks do not have such debit cards.

You should contact banks and ask them for  'international debit card/credit card' and they will surely provide you information about available options.

Compare them and take the one that best suits your needs.

Good Luck

40b77e4c
Community Member

Same here today I am trying to upgrade my account and facing this error 

Your payment could not be processed. Please choose an alternate payment method or retry again later.

Please check because I have no other option to as a billing method.

Paypal is not offering its service in Pakistan due to some issue.

Hi Malik,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to set up your payment method. I would like to confirm that virtual card numbers, gift cards, and prepaid cards are not accepted on the platform. For more details about payment methods available on Upwork and how to set up a new payment method, check out our this guide.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi 

i have same problem even i am using credit card and my card is working on other sites and i also confirm from my bank about international gateway is on please help 

Thank you for reaching out to us, Fazal.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your concern.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Looks like so many people have the same problem but still no solution. I have provided information of a credit card with which so many purchases were made from other sites but here it doesn't work. I can't purchase any connect now.

Hi Shahnewaz,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with purchasing connects. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I checked on this issue, i used to have prepaid visa cards which worked fine with buying connects and that worked fine for almost 6 months. Suddenly i am geeting this message from last 2 weeks - 

We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank.

I checked with upwork so they said there is no issue with upwork system, so i checked with bank about the issue and the error code they receives, they said upwork payment garway trying to create recurring payment and error code they receive is recurring.. I called upwork and they are supposed to come back to me on this,

Hi Devesh,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with purchasing connects. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi
I am facing same issue i can't set my payment method i see message that we are unable to authorize ur card kindly help me out resolve my issue please

Hi Hina,

I checked and It looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

~ Nikola
Upwork
c1357dab
Community Member

Hi I have exactly the same problem, and as a hirer, am unable to start work with my chosen freelancer.

I can set up a personal visa debit card, but not using my business visa debit card. This will make tracking payments and tax a real nightmare...

cdfff83e
Community Member

The same problem is "We can't authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank."Help solve it. I'm trying to register on Upwork

~Andrea
Upwork
f3423da5
Community Member

I have the same issue, although i am using a Visa Credit Card.

Hi Avik,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the issue with charging your card. Could you please contact your card issuing bank to check the available limit and permissions to complete international transactions on your card? 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
sohailkhanjadoon
Community Member

Upwork only accept credit card for buying connects so you have to try with a credit card instead of debit card.

cfunes
Community Member

I have same issue, upwork doesn't allow me to use visa, master nor even paypal. Could someone reach me to solve this issue?

Hi Cristian,

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Could you please contact your card issuing bank to check the available limit and permissions to complete international transactions on your card? As for your PayPal account, you might want to try an alternate payment method from your PayPal wallet or contact PayPal regarding the specific decline error.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

I had the same issue. The most probable reason is that your card only supports your local currency. You need to go to the bank and apply to enable dual currency (e.g. USD). In this process, you will need to set an amount to endorse as the second currency (e.g. USD). After that, you need to make another application to make it enabled for e-commerce transactions (if not done already). Then hopefully you will be good to go. BTW this whole process might differ a bit from country to country. 

a8ee0270
Community Member

In my own opinion,  I think that the store or the company did not have the they of your card like they don't have avail that bank to there company. So in that way they will get another card that you have or you can pay it thru cash.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths