cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

validate candidates is a time-consuming

Yaron C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
1 of 5

Hello ,

I am finding that the process to filter and validate candidates is a time-consuming and many times I hired freelancer that all signals shows that he will be success and eventually he/she didn't deliver .

Is this a common challenge or I am the only one that struggle with this challenge  

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

Yaron, you're doing this all wrong!

I have hired dozens of contractors for many different types of jobs.

You don't need to spend time validating or even interviewing candidates.

Hire a bunch of people, let them do a little work, and keep the ones whose results you like.

Or hire the first candidate and work closely with him or her, and keep them if they're good, close their contract if they don't meet your expectations.

I rarely interview candidates. I just hire them and send them their assignments.

The  key here is to be ready to close contracts quickly on anybody who isn't producting the results you want or providing you with good value.

I definitely don't expect every contractor to be a good hire. That's why if I need 2 people for a project I hire 6 people.

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
3 of 5

Hello Preston,

Great feedback. I do have a question however. I am not  jack of all trades and I want to post some projects  on the platform (even though I work here as a freelancer). What is the procedure- did you have to sign up as a client here?

Also are there any flags to watch out for ( as a client and lancer). i want to be sure I am not violating any rules.

Do enjoy your weekend.

Oreofe.

Nb- just curious - on the average how satisfying has your experience been - as a client I mean .

Community Guru
4 of 5

re: "What is the procedure- did you have to sign up as a client here?"

DO NOT sign up for a different account. You will get kicked off the platform.

DO NOT CREATE a new Upwork account.

Only use your current Upwork account. You will continue to use the same login username and password.

You will log into Upwork using your contractor account.
But you will create or activate what is known as a "client profile."

Within the SAME UPWORK ACCOUNT, you can then switch between your contractor profile and your client profile.

It is like wearing two different hats... but you're still the same person.

Using your client profile, you can post jobs, hire people, etc.

Community Guru
5 of 5

re: "on the average how satisfying has your experience been - as a client I mean ."

I have been very satisified as a client.

But I also have reasonable expectations.

I have hired people who didn't turn in any work, and I have hired people who did not do a very good job.

But that was fine for my timetable because they were not the only person I hired to do the job.

When I like somebody's work, I can continue working with them. But I don't feel obligated to continue working with somebody if I don't like their work. I never promise long term work to anybody.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS