cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

verify cards and billing

Nermine S Member Since: Apr 13, 2016
1 of 6

My Bank feedback as below:

First, 1$ has been charged from my visa card and then first milestone amount of my project  as well.
please clarify reason of charging for each ?
Note :

the freelancer i made him offer hasn't started yet?

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 6

The $1 is probably charged as soon as you enter your card details, to make sure it's active. You'll get that back. The second, is to fund escrow so that the freelnacer is ready to go as soon as they accept the project. If they don't, you'll get that back. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Nermine S Member Since: Apr 13, 2016
3 of 6

Thanks Scott, 

That sounds reasonable but how can i be assured of it ?

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
4 of 6

It's just the way it works as far as I know. In the unlikely event that you don't get it back, then it should just be a glitch, and a quick email to support will fix it. This probably happens hundreds, if not thousands, of times a day... and I've never come across anyone not getting the initial $1 back, or their escrow funding if the freelancer doesn't accept.

Obviously if they file for bankruptcy tomorrow, then that could be an issue... but fingers crossed they don't! 

Hopefulyl a moderator will come along at some point with a more detailed/accurate repsonse... they're usually quite prompt when clients have questions. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 6
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Nermine,

Upwork puts a $1.00 hold on your card to ensure the card number is valid. That $1.00 is a temporary authorization and Upwork does not actually take that money from your credit card. In most cases, this hold disappears from the account before you check the charges.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS