🐈
» Forums » Clients » what if the prototype is produced and the fre...
Page options
3652fc06
Community Member

what if the prototype is produced and the freelancer use it for his benifts after end of the contra

I am very confused. It really feels good to find so many talented people in up work and I have found some of the freelancers who can bring my concept to life but I am very insecure as I don't know how it works. What if we pay the freelancer to make a product and that freelancer use or share it modifying the concept for his benefit after the contract ends. You never know as we have to share the whole concept to the freelancer and concept is money. I have seen a market gap and I know what I want but I am not educated enough to make something like that on my own. Any information regarding my confusion would really be helpful.
Thank you
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Practically there is nothing much to prevent a freelancer using your ideas, but most see grand ideas on a weekly basis, and their only interest is to do your job, get paid for it, and move on to the next contract.

As per the Upwork Terms of Service the freelancers aren't allowed to steal your idea or use what they were paid for themselves, but any contract is worth your ability to enforce it.

Your best bet is to choose a very experienced freelancer with a very high Success Score and pay him or her a fair rate.

To a successful freelancer on Upwork his or her profile is very important and such a freelancer will do nothing that could get their account suspended, because that is where their income comes from.

Choose wisely and you have little to worry about.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
barada00
Community Member

You should probably hire someone you can sue if they do that. I checked and saw that you are registered from Nepal. If you were from the US I'd advise you to hire someone from the US but since you are in Nepal maybe you can post a job for international legal consultation first to know what your options are. Most freelancer wouldn't do what you are worried about but most is not all. You'll probably need to have an NDA signed by the freelancer but I have no idea how this will stop them from using the concept if they are located at the other side of the world.

I'm a freelancer and not someone working for UpWork, so take what I wrote with a grain of salt.

Thank you for your advise
petra_r
Community Member

Practically there is nothing much to prevent a freelancer using your ideas, but most see grand ideas on a weekly basis, and their only interest is to do your job, get paid for it, and move on to the next contract.

As per the Upwork Terms of Service the freelancers aren't allowed to steal your idea or use what they were paid for themselves, but any contract is worth your ability to enforce it.

Your best bet is to choose a very experienced freelancer with a very high Success Score and pay him or her a fair rate.

To a successful freelancer on Upwork his or her profile is very important and such a freelancer will do nothing that could get their account suspended, because that is where their income comes from.

Choose wisely and you have little to worry about.

JoanneP

Hi Sudan, the Upwork User Agreement has a built-in service contract in sections 3.5 through 3.7 and a non-disclosure agreement in section 6.  If you are concerned about the security of your intellectual property, you are welcome to supplement the Upwork User Agreement with your own documentation (NDA) as advised by Baris. Please bear in mind that Upwork cannot enforce outside documentation. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Joanne
Upwork

I believe if you have the idea of a concept and clear in what you are looking for your best bet might be to find someone local.  You will avoid many problems that may arise due to distance/communication. 

3652fc06
Community Member

Well, even I thought upwork would have something related to this too but as per my research on the client portable I don't think upwork would take my case too seariouly and find the person or seriously help me if something like that happened. I will just have a print out of build in service contract in my hand with no idea of what to do with it. Besides even the freelancer will be in another side of planet with no information about the person and country rules and regulation. I am saying this because I have 100 person confidence in my concept and I just want to be sure about the patent right even after the contract ends and make sure the person won't do something like that.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths