cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do when a client contacts you outside of UpWork?

sherlock26
Ace Contributor
Jennifer H Member Since: Nov 22, 2017
1 of 10

Hi,

I wanted to know where to go here to report a client when they contact you outside of UpWork. I got suspicious of a client I submitted a proposal to, several days back. Then I got a direct email from a company asking me to do a test and to also fill out a payment form (ACH). I was positive I had not ever applied to this company. I believe this is the same client that just got canned this morning from my list. I could not be sure it was the same one though. I can forward the email if you need it. 

The reality is that clients should be identified on these postings, just as we are providing our names too.

Where can we contact you directly about such a client violation? That's aside from removing our proposal.
Thanks! 

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 10

Hello Jennifer,

Could you please create a ticket at Upwork Help Center and report this issue? Please send all the important details that will prove your claim. (Screenshots will do). Thank you.

Untitled

View solution in original post

voskerchian
Community Guru
Hasmik V Member Since: Aug 12, 2017
3 of 10

Hey Jennifer,

You can simply find the job posting and flag it, Upwok will take care further. I just wonder, how they came to know your email?
One more thing, looking through your profile, I think you should keep your overview shorter. No one has enough time to read it through. No need to tell details about the tools you use, or the projects you worked on. Just let the client feel you can provide great results.

Happy freelancing!

sherlock26
Ace Contributor
Jennifer H Member Since: Nov 22, 2017
4 of 10

Thank you for your tip! I appreciate it. Smiley Happy

jennifer_wolfe
Jennifer P W Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
5 of 10

Hi, Jennifer. Just to note: you are absolutely correct that we should be allowed to 'name names' of clients, but Upwork's interest lies in stacking the deck against the freelancers and for the clients. Such is life, however. In general, you should never allow a client to attempt to contact you outside of the platform--I found this out the hardest way possible, although my intention was to provide the best service and allow the client to contact me via Skype because that was what he preferred. 

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
6 of 10

No, you don't 'name names' because  that could be libellous. 

> In general, you should never allow a client to attempt to contact you outside of the platform

On the contrary,  you should *always* have an alternative method of communication, especially for time-sensitive projects, as the message boards can't always be relied on.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 10

@Jennifer P W wrote:

Hi, Jennifer. Just to note: you are absolutely correct that we should be allowed to 'name names' of clients, but Upwork's interest lies in stacking the deck against the freelancers and for the clients. Such is life, however. In general, you should never allow a client to attempt to contact you outside of the platform--I found this out the hardest way possible, although my intention was to provide the best service and allow the client to contact me via Skype because that was what he preferred. 

Client names are not displayed on job posts to both protect their privacy (inevitably when a client posts their company information they get inundated with spam contact) and to prevent circumvention. (Which is what I think the OP was referring to - client names on job posts.)

Client names are not allowed to be posted in the forums just the same as freelancer names are not allowed to be posted by clients complaining they have been scammed - it's against the Community Guidelines to post allegations of misconduct.

Tiffany Kim (so sorry Kim!) is correct that once you have a contract established you should certainly have a back-up or alternative contact method. I do the vast majority of my communications with my freelancers outside of the Upwork site.

(EDIT: there are so many Jennifers in this thread!)

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
8 of 10

But fewer Tiffanys than you counted...

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 10

@Kim F wrote:

But fewer Tiffanys than you counted...

Oops, so sorry Kim! I've corrected my post now!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 10

Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience. Could you please pm me the details or if you're not able to, share right here a screenshot of the client's request and the link to their job post, so I could confirm whether our team already reviewed the job and took action against the client?

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS