cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

writer isn't working

83760d69
Victoria A Member Since: Dec 4, 2016
1 of 18

What happens if the writer you hire isn't working, and has only written one hour for the week?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 18

@Victoria A wrote:

What happens if the writer you hire isn't working, and has only written one hour for the week?

Is it an hourly contract?

How many hours per week did you agree? (By "agree" I mean did you actually set a minimum and the freelancer specifically agreed to meet that minimum?)

Are you paying a decent rate?

What is the quality like?

As to what you can do:

• Discuss this with your freelancer, clarify expectations, find out what is causing the low output
  • Hire additional freelancers
  • End the contract and hire another / other feelancer/s

As to "what happens":

If the contract is hourly and the freelancer worked one hour you get billed one hour on Monday. However, maybe your freelancer is planning to work more hours over the weekend.

Overall, communication is key. Communicate effectively with your freelancer!

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 18

Pay the writer the one hour he or she has worked, and then close the contract, and find someone else - plenty of choice! 😉

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
4 of 18

Have you been able to communicate with the freelancer to determine why they aren't writing?  That would probably be the first step I would take.

If you don't get an appropriate response, I would suggest you pay the freelancer for their hour, close the contract, and leave accurate and honest feedback.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 18

The following is not in response to the OP's query but rather an observation on why writers really should not take hourly jobs.  

Key stokes follow the conceptualizing and thinking process ... and those key stroke marks need to be read and read before editing and more key strokes follow.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 18

@Wendy C wrote:

The following is not in response to the OP's query but rather an observation on why writers really should not take hourly jobs.  

Key stokes follow the conceptualizing and thinking process ... and those key stroke marks need to be read and read before editing and more key strokes follow.

I do my thinking while driving or walking the dog 😄

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 18

This could really be simplified by just setting a deadline with the writer.  If she/he has only worked an hour but the deadline isn't until next week, then who cares? Maybe she/he is booked and has you in their schedule for next week?

I always tell people when I can get it to them and maybe pad it by a day or two in case something crazy happens. This whole problem would go away if you just ping the writer and say "hey, when do you think you can get me a draft?" Then it doesn't matter when they work.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 18

I couldn't care less why a writer isn't working.

If they don't want to work, that's fine. I'll just use the articles written by the other writers I hired.

If I have a deadline and need writing done, then I would probably have hired about 4 writers to do the project, and I would tell them what the deadline is.

When the deadline time comes, I close the contract on everybody and use the best article, or use all of the ones that are good.

I would fully expect some of the writers to not do the work on time.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 18

@ Preston - this is really a pathetically sorry statement. If someone can't meet their commitment - esp. without a darn good reason - they should be working in a cubicle and not freelancing.

"I would fully expect some of the writers to not do the work on time."

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 18

Wendy:

As a practical matter, not all Upwork freelancers do the work they said they would do when hired. Some simply never turn in any work.

I don't see any difference whether I hire writers, illustrators, graphic designers or other professionals on Upwork.

And I don't see any difference when I hire painters, tradespeople, landscapers, movers, etc. via CraigsList.

It also happens with programmers and developers who are hired via Upwork. I work on a lot of projects that involve multiple team members. It is common for the project owners to express frustration finding developers. They often take time to interview and hire people, and those developers don't deliver any work. So they go back to the drawing board to hire others.

I simply don't worry about it or wonder why.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS