Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

writer isn't working

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
11 of 18

My comment was not intended as a reflection on you, Preston, nor on clients who approach and communicate with freelance talent in a professional manner - it is and was a total condemnation on the unprofessional who taint the field for all players.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 18

Wendy, don't worry. Your intention was clear. I didn't think you were being critical of anything I did. I hope I didn't sound defensive or anything.

I don't blame you if you are less than enthusiastic about the prospect of freelancers who sign on to do a job and don't show up. But it is what it is. I don't really have much of an opinion about it.

millermelanie
Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
13 of 18

Why do you assume he isn't working?  Not all work is loggable.  I spend quite a bit of time thinking and mullling over ideas and jotting into a notebook before I begin a tangible draft.  Perhaps he is working on another project.  We freelancers balance jobs from several clients at once.  Whenever I sign a new contract, I try to clear out other pending jobs first, depending on how the deadlines fall.  He may only work on your project one hour this week, but may be clearing his schedule to give you his full time and attention next week.  Why do you care?  What difference does it make, just as long as he delivers what you asked for when you asked for it?  Not everybody uses the same process of time management.  

Frankly, if I had a client who was looking so closely over my shoulder and was judging my process rather than my end product, I would hurry up and finish the job then refuse to do any work for him ever again.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
14 of 18

Is there a deadline for the work? The reason I ask is that I tend to triage my work by deadline, urgency, and pay. If the deadline is not for a while or if there is none, then I may mull it over and do some reading but work on more urgent assignments. 

The writer should have clarified timeframe with you. But if you and he/she agreed on a deadline, I guess I would not read to much into the one hour of work. Sometimes it helps to write a draft or outline then return to it later. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 18

A client can work with any freelancers they want to work with. A client doesn't owe the freelancer an explanation for the client's preferences.

If a client wants a freelancer to work 10 hours per work on writing assignments, and one freelancer will work only one hour per week on writing assignments, then the client should close the contract and work with freelancers whose work styles meet the client's expectations.

millermelanie
Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
16 of 18

We may be comparing apples and oranges here.  It really depends on the type of writing assignment being done.  I produce mostly creative work.  If a client tells me when to write and for how long at a time, it is counter-productive.  If the muses are not speaking to me, and the inspiration simply isn't there, chances are I cannot summon up the words on command.  And just because you cannot see a log of my work, it doesn't mean I'm not working on your project.  Believe me, I'm bouncing it around in my head for many hours before it lands on paper.  If the client is not a writer, he may not understand how the process works, and probably shouldn't be directing it.  There are OTHER types of jobs, however, for which weekly loggable time invested is important.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 18

A lot of questions here would be answered if the OP would come back and give more info.

As a translation client, I personally pay no attention at all to how many hours my freelancers work and when. I give them a task and a deadline and I go away and do other stuff and wait for them to return the work.

The only time I notice how many hours a freelancer has worked is when it's zero and I get the notification from Upwork that they're about to pause an hourly contract and I know that the freelancer has done work for me recently. Then I remind them that they need to log their hours to get paid and I can't pay them if they don't log their hours... (this happens more often than you'd think...)

p_valdes
Community Guru
Pablo V Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
18 of 18

> What happens if the writer you hire isn't working, and has only written one hour for the week?

Nothing, all, It depends on each case and job.

Is not uncommon for a writer to do some previous research, ruminating/understanding the problem or gathering documentation and bibliography before starting to write, so as long the job done in this hour is fine, shouldn't be a problem at all.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS