cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.8 million gig workers were purged from Upwork - here's why

majd-mardene
Majd M Member Since: Jan 13, 2020
1 of 37

Today, I am going to share one blog with all freelancers.
This blog is from 
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

_________________________________________________________________________________________

On February 2, Upwork (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) listed 2,614,107 registered users. By March 13, that number nosedived to just 833,042, a bizarre and alarming drop of 1.8 million — or 68% of its user count.

The abrupt drop came just as the company was reporting its fourth-quarter results when it surprised investors with a 16.67% jump in earnings at $80.29 million. 

So what happened? Part of the shift may be attributed to Upwork's new CEO, Hayden Brown, who emphasized that the company is targeting Fortune 500 companies as opposed to smaller, one-off companies just looking for a quick gig worker. At the earnings call, she spoke of a "skill gap" between what companies were looking for on a platform like Upwork and what they were getting.

"Our goal is to become the world’s top provider of flexible talent solutions by attracting the best clients, with the best work opportunities, for the world’s best talent," she told investors.

It seems that as part of the process, the company has thinned its talent pool from 2.6 million available workers who may or may not deliver good work to just 833,000 who are more likely to please more lucrative clients. Indeed, the site had been seeing a growing number of workers along with a scarcity of jobs, and it wasn't a good look for a service that promised quick matches and quality work.

Brown pointed to three goals for 2020:  1. Attract more, bigger clients; 2. Enable more spend per client; 3. Make more high-quality matches, particularly in Upwork's technical categories of Web, Mobile, and Software Development.

In other words, Upwork is less interested in millions of projects for millions of workers. Rather, it'd prefer higher-paying clients going out to fewer workers who are certain to make said clients happy. Thin the herd, as they say. It makes sense, too: the number of projects at the site had been in a steep decline for months before Brown took the wheel.

In order to do so, the company is looking for larger companies that will hire from a smaller pool of skilled workers. Brown also pointed to Upwork's talent pool's high project feedback ratings.

And what's a super-easy way to up your talent pool's feedback ratings? Purge the ones with poor ratings.

About the Data:

Thinknum tracks companies using the information they post online - jobs, social and web traffic, product sales and app ratings - and creates data sets that measure factors like hiring, revenue and foot traffic. Data sets may not be fully comprehensive (they only account for what is available on the web), but they can be used to gauge performance factors like staffing and sales. 

majd-mardene
2 of 37

So I think Upwork has no idea about freelancers.

They only try to give benefits to clients, but not for freelancers.

And also I have one question.

So 1.8 million freelancers violated Terms of Service?

I think no. Maybe most of them didn't violate. They were suspended without any reason.

And also what I can guess is, my account will be suspended soon.

Upwork can suspend my account because of this blog. Smiley Very Happy
But I don't worry about that. I captured this as video, and if something is wrong with my account, I am ready to post the videos on Youtube or other platforms.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 37

This was covered on reddit, and the stereotypical current year "journalist" who pretended to be on the call kept calling the CEO a "he." That's current year journalism for you. We poked plenty of holes in this loser's story.

majd-mardene
4 of 37
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 37

I read it and it sucks and the current year "journalist" should probably feel bad about being so bad.

jwresearch
Ace Contributor
Jeff M Member Since: Jan 19, 2012
6 of 37

Jennifer M wrote:

I read it and it sucks and the current year "journalist" should probably feel bad about being so bad.

Have you ever had any pleasant thoughts or said anything pleasant to anyone?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 37

Majd M wrote:

Re: 1.8 million gig workers were purged from Upwork

I suspect they just set 1.8 Million long term inactive profiles to private so they no longer appear in searches.

Even if it was accurate, which it probably isn't, they should have purged way more. Still way too much dead wood.

Majd M wrote:

And also what I can guess is, my account will be suspended soon.

Why would you care? You don't work via Upwork, never have, so it makes no difference whether you have the account or not.

majd-mardene
8 of 37

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 18.27.47.png

It's Upwork Registered Users Count, not Active Users Count.

Petra R wrote:

"I suspect they just set 1.8 Million long term inactive profiles to private so they no longer appear in searches.

Even if it was accurate, which it probably isn't, they should have purged way more. Still way too much dead wood."

You said that because you are a translator, not a developer.

So you mean it took around one month to set 1.8 Million long term inactive profiles to private?

If they wanted to make those private, it could be done within an hour by using database queries or codes, not over a month. 1.8 Million users were suspended. Even it's a large amount, sorry, we should trust it.

You are a creative translator, so what you said is a creative thing? Or based on something?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 37

undefined:

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 18.27.47.png

It's Upwork Registered Users Count, not Active Users Count.

Petra R wrote:

1.8 Million users were suspended. Even it's a large amount, sorry, we should trust it.

You are a creative translator, so what you said is a creative thing? Or based on something?

First of all I question where they got the data from and how.  Anyone can squiggle a graph and make a claim. There is no source, no evidence, just a wild claim.

I am basing my position on evidence and experience. Last time Upwork "purged" a significant number of users (A mere fraction of what is being reported here) a few years ago those people were blowing up the forums and the Internet. I don't see a sharp increase in people screaming they've been suspended. 

Upwork losing a significant number of non- or under-performing (idle, abandoned, low performance, poor contract outcomes) profiles would be a good thing anyway.

majd-mardene
BEST ANSWER
10 of 37

"First of all I question where they got the data from and how"

Thinknum Media is reliable or not? I think yes. This site only provides true data.

It seems you don't know about Thinknum Media. Smiley LOL

"I don't see a sharp increase in people screaming they've been suspended."

Do I need to send you all the links where the people are talking about the suspension?

Also, it seems you don't know how to research. You are a real creative translator - you work without googling.

I don't want to talk with you since you don't know the truth.

I wish you will not reply anymore.

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS