🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: 2 Ideas - 1 holiday per year for upwork f...
Page options
rubenfvf
Community Member

2 Ideas - 1 holiday per year for upwork freelancers (with an event!) and a formal email for upwork

Hello,

I use upwork for living, however I don't have any holiday! A suggestion is to use upwork maintenance plan and create an event at the same day! Or create a forum, a game, I don't know...

The other idea is better... I would like to have an email named like ruben@upwork.com IT WILL BE GREAT!

(I don't know if this is the best place to post ideas)

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cupidmedia
Community Member

My freelancers take holidays all the time. They just let me know in advance if they're not going to be available for any specific length of time and I work around that.

I also have worked with (and know personally) some "digital nomad" freelancers who are constantly travelling and living in a different place every few months.

Nothing is stopping you having a holiday other than yourself.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
dataextract
Community Member

1. If you want you will have to take a day OFF by yourself. And atlease once in a while Upwork site is off for maintenance for several hours though.

2. May be try register a domain ruben.com and configure an email upwork@ruben.com 🙂

luce-neidert
Community Member

Idea number one is great. Here are some of the things we could do to celebrate:

We could all change our photos.

We could invent fake porfolios.

We could "mistakingly" send nasty or nice messages to clients.

Upwork could organise a raffle. 

But better still, forget about Upwork and go do something else.

Idea number one is great. Here are some of the things we could do to celebrate:

We could all change our photos.

We could invent fake porfolios.

We could "mistakingly" send nasty or nice messages to clients.

Upwork could organise a raffle. 

But better still, forget about Upwork and go do something else.

Now what was it Lily Tomlin said? Oh yeah, "No matter how cynical you are, it's never enough."

Go Luce!

@Anthony H wrote:

<snip>

Go Luce!

I'm sure you meant to quote Luce. Below is a screenshot that shows what to click to quote people. Please note, to quote someone, you must first left click the REPLY button on that persons post.

Then, click this, as seen below:

quote.png

@Pandora H wrote:

@Anthony H wrote:

<snip>

Go Luce!

I'm sure you meant to quote Luce. Below is a screenshot that shows what to click to quote people. Please note, to quote someone, you must first left click the REPLY button on that persons post.

Then, click this, as seen below:

quote.png

So that's how you do it! Thanks Pandora, I had been wondering about how to use this function! 

Luce: your welcome. It USED to look different, so we had to learn how to use it, just within the last month.

mthornton-cpc
Community Member

@Ruben V wrote:

Hello,

I use upwork for living, however I don't have any holiday! A suggestion is to use upwork maintenance plan and create an event at the same day! Or create a forum, a game, I don't know...

The other idea is better... I would like to have an email named like ruben@upwork.com IT WILL BE GREAT!

(I don't know if this is the best place to post ideas)

I also rely heavily on Upwork for my living. I travel rather frequently. Part of the beauty of freelancing is schedule flexibility. You can take as many holidays as you choose - it takes planning and clear communication with clients - but it most certainly can be done, and is done by many successful, longtime freelancers. There are times when you have to take all the work that comes to you, but if you don't find a way to manage your business in a way that gives you flexibility you might as well be working for a company in an office somewhere. 

sivavranagaro
Community Member

But you are not working for Upwork, and you are not their employee.

You are working for yourself.

I'm sorry for being a partybreaker.

@Vesna M wrote:

But you are not working for Upwork, and you are not their employee.

You are working for yourself.

I'm sorry for being a partybreaker.

@Can you imagine the millions of people who would be representing Upwork with @upwork.com email addresses? And the sorts of things they'd be contributing to Upwork's reputation by using an offical-looking email address? Wow. 

pandoraharper
Community Member

Wow....seriously?

cupidmedia
Community Member

My freelancers take holidays all the time. They just let me know in advance if they're not going to be available for any specific length of time and I work around that.

I also have worked with (and know personally) some "digital nomad" freelancers who are constantly travelling and living in a different place every few months.

Nothing is stopping you having a holiday other than yourself.

I also rely heavily on Upwork for my living. I travel rather frequently. Part of the beauty of freelancing is schedule flexibility. You can take as many holidays as you choose - it takes planning and clear communication with clients - but it most certainly can be done, and is done by many successful, longtime freelancers. There are times when you have to take all the work that comes to you, but if you don't find a way to manage your business in a way that gives you flexibility you might as well be working for a company in an office somewhere. 

Hmmm... picking 1 favourite is hard. I actually enjoy quite a few. (Especially in Olympic years) As someone who grew up in the UK, I know it SHOULD be football... but I only really got into that during World Cups! (My dad and brother/brothers-in-law were big football fans, but I resisted... got bored with all the footie talk!) Gained a bit more interest again lately after watching the Welcome to Wrexham documentary... but now live in Canada so it's not something I can watch much very easily. Was a little interested in Formula 1 for a while. Went to a few rugby & cricket games locally. (Mostly because I had free tickets from work). Enjoyed a few live (ice) hockey games. I played a lot of netball and badminton. Growing up, though, I think my favourite had to be showjumping & eventing. I LOVED horses as a kid.  

Latest Articles
Learning Paths