🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » A day in the life of... my client...
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

A day in the life of... my client...

cat ate work.jpg

(Yes, that is a long term client I have a great relationship with hence the informal approach will be considered normal. Cat sabotaging text, however, is new.)

30 REPLIES 30
wendy_writes
Community Member

On the floor laughing....

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

cat ate work.jpg

(Yes, that is a long term client I have a great relationship with hence the informal approach will be considered normal. Cat sabotaging text, however, is new.)

I'm staying with my brother at the moment, and his two cats keep trying to sleep on my laptop. If one stepped on the backspace key, I could see this happening.

2f5ff562
Community Member

One time my cat toppled a glass of water on my Macbook pro... total loss. I could salvage the content of the hard drive, but... it died... the computer, not the cat.

petra_r
Community Member

Mateo R. S wrote:

One time my cat toppled a glass of water on my Macbook pro... total loss. I could salvage the content of the hard drive, but... it died... the computer, not the cat.

The reason I never bought a Macbook is because between the cats and cups of coffee / glasses of wine my portable computers (laptops) have a pretty poor chance of surviving long term. I did invest in an iMac desktop but still do a lot of my work on an older (1 year old) Lenovo.

Because the picture (5k) and sound of the iMac are so fabulous I have to admit I use it mainly for streaming content while I do my work on the Windows laptop.

2f5ff562
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Mateo R. S wrote:

The reason I never bought a Macbook is because between the cats and cups of coffee / glasses of wine my portable computers (laptops) have a pretty poor chance of surviving long term. I did invest in an iMac desktop but still do a lot of my work on an older (1 year old) Lenovo.

Because the picture (5k) and sound of the iMac are so fabulous I have to admit I use it mainly for streaming content while I do my work on the Windows laptop.

Lol Yeah, never bought a macbook again after that, neither had cats again. Or a mac at all...

Thought i was the only one messing up laptops that way.

petra_r
Community Member

Lynca (cat) says "It was the dog!!!!"

Murphy (dog) says "Nonsense. I don't fit on the laptop!"

Murphy and Lynca sm.jpg

last year I took my elderly cat to our mountain cabin.

she decided she would take over editing....just look at how she marked that document up

IMG_2727.JPG

Canine addition to Petra's lyrics ...

Dog(s):  But our front paws do!!!

Mateo R. S wrote:

My son's best friend dumped a cup of sake onto my MacBook's keyboard. He thought it was empty (????!?). I took it apart, cleaned it with cotton swabs and alcohol (the medicinal kind, not more sake), and miraculously nearly a year later it's still going strong. I don't worry about cats. I worry about 4th graders. 

Every cat thread needs a Corgi hijack. My dog is an a hole that needs attention. She's outside cuz she won't leave the cleaning people alone when they run the vacuum.

image.png

Speaking of macbooks and ruining them, I'm staying with my parents right now and my cat threw up on my mom's keyboard. Total loss. My Lenovo has been puked on, spilled on, dropped, run over (by a wheelchair, not a car) and doesn't even have a scratch. But one drop spills on a Macbook and the entire thing is ruined.

Madison R wrote:

Speaking of macbooks and ruining them, I'm staying with my parents right now and my cat threw up on my mom's keyboard. Total loss. My Lenovo has been puked on, spilled on, dropped, run over (by a wheelchair, not a car) and doesn't even have a scratch. But one drop spills on a Macbook and the entire thing is ruined.

I am on my second Lenovo and the first one lasted a HELL of a lot longer than any previous laptop. This one likely won't. I would not dare buy a MacBook because I do kill laptops so regularly. I always have at least 2 computers - so when the last Lenovo died I got an iMac as my main computer, keeping the current Lenovo going as long as I can. I'll probably replace it with a Lenovo again, they seem to survive me much better than other brands.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

So I used to stay with my sisters too, and their cats would always sit on my keyboard. 

Is it because the laptop is warm? Or is it like their sublte way of letting us know that they should be loved? 

ETA: Serious question.

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

So I used to stay with my sisters too, and their cats would always sit on my keyboard. 

Is it because the laptop is warm? Or is it like their sublte way of letting us know that they should be loved? 

I think it is mainly attention seeking. Getting between us and whatever we are concentrating on. Mine also sit on a magazine or book I am reading.

Petra R wrote:

Avery O wrote:

I think it is mainly attention seeking. Getting between us and whatever we are concentrating on. Mine also sit on a magazine or book I am reading.

Not so sure about that. It happened quite some times that I was working from bed and all of a sudden weird stuff happened on my screen. When I went downstairs I would find a cat walking or lying on the wireless keyboard. And that's not warm, and also I wasn't there.

I think they do it just because they know they aren't supposed to. 

I recently spent 6 weeks with my son's family in Wisconsin.  His 60 pound Plott hound (Dizzy) loved to sit on the sofa next to me, right next to the warm keyboard.  One night, I wasn't paying attention and all of a sudden, 17 windows were trying to open simultaneously.  She had her head on the keypad!

Eve L wrote:

It happened quite some times that I was working from bed and all of a sudden weird stuff happened on my screen. When I went downstairs I would find a cat walking or lying on the wireless keyboard. And that's not warm, and also I wasn't there.

Ah, but you appeared ... so it worked.

Years ago I worked with two computers side-by-side. Each had identical CRT monitors. Those put out some heat and were a favorite sleeping spot for my two cats. Any more cats and I would have needed more monitors.

Avery O wrote:

Probably both. Also has to do with being a cat: forever unpredictable.

2f5ff562
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

I Have had cats and kittens my whole life, when i was a kid once my family had two female cats, who got pregnant at the same time... so we had a total of 12 cats hanging around home, and i have found that... wherever you spend a lot of time, or whatever object you use a lot, like a computer, a phone, a book, a desk, a chair, sofa.... etc... they tend to hang around there a lot, and if they are males sometimes they pee on it, and bring you mice and cockroaches or other crawlers...

If you people would buy your pets their own computers, these things wouldn't happen.

Preston, that's a brilliant idea!!!

Or we could recycle old computers by offering them to our pets.

Luce N wrote:

Preston, that's a brilliant idea!!!

Or we could recycle old computers by offering them to our pets.

I did that. When I bought my new Macbook I used to put my old laptop next to me for my cat, so she would leave the new one alone. However, if I left the new one unattended they would be quick in occupying that as well. 

IMG_0124.JPGIMG_0723.JPG

Eve, her sticking her tongue out at you explains exactly what she thought of your ruse.  Cat Tongue

My cats have their own games on the iPad...

lexidh
Community Member

I work from home under strickt supervision by these three guys. Some days I have to break out the tuna to get some peace and quiet. I have also, while working on writing my own book, taken a Chromebook with me and been sitting in the back of my SUV with pillows and stuff, to get away from the paws and whiskers. Wouldn't work anymore, as a lot of my neighbors now have just as friendly cats as I have, and I'd be just as crowded there! 

2019-05-08 16.54.16-1.jpg

Those look like some tough taskmasters..never sleeping on the job. Clearly they influence your productivity LOL

Thankfully they are true cats, and sleep a lot. Problem is that they usually do so either on me, or next to me. So either they are in the way, or they are demotivating me. "Oooh that nap looks so comfortable, maybe just 5 minutes..." 

petra_r
Community Member

Lexidh S wrote:

Thankfully they are true cats, and sleep a lot.

They are stunning! What are they? Lots of grooming needed?

lexidh
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

They are stunning! What are they? Lots of grooming needed?

The tuxedo to the left, Baloo, is of completely unknown origins (got him from a rescue last summer), but probably just a normal Norwegian backyard mix, not much grooming involved. The cow patch in the middle, Rufus, is half Norwegian Forest Cat (dad) and half Gorgeous Backyard Mix (mom), some grooming involved, to his majestys displeasure. The grey one to the right, Tibbs, is half Ragdoll (mom) and half Stunning Neighborhood Bad Boy (dad), no grooming involved, except a couple of knots to take off with scissors in shedding season. They are all completely looney tunes, the best of friends, between the ages of 2 and 4, so the activity level is HIGH! 

She's just looking for Tom Cats on the "Claws" website. 🙂

Latest Articles
Learning Paths