Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

A few more ideas for upwork

Ace Contributor
Daniel S Member Since: Apr 2, 2014
11 of 33

While a lot of you say that this is a step in the right direction, take this scenario into consideration:

A wild job appears, fitted for your skills. You think "I am so relieved to know that there's so few freelancers applying to this, now with the paid connects". I think the same, and the rest of 50 people applying to that job think the same (let's put a maximum of 50, if before with free connects the number would've been 200). Now, let's say the job has a budget of $400, which means it costs each of us 6 connects, so $0.9 - and this is for 1 job. A single freelancer gets the job. The rest of 49 just spent $44 together. For a single job.

 

How many bids do you people make on a daily basis? At least one, right? How many do you get? Could be none, right? Or if the job list has more project fitted to your skills, you apply to more than one in a day (I've been here for a while, I know how it goes).

 

This will go very well for some, very poorly for others. Because in addition to the paid connects, you also have to lower your rates in order to make sure you'll get that job. And think about the fact that the rest will do the same. Trick or treat, eh?

 

Before jumping to the assumption that this is a good move for top rated freelancers such as yourself, think about the fact that all top rated freelancers have the same thought. And I don't think we're just a few.

 

I wish you all good luck! Starting soon, this becomes a long episode of Hunger Games, freelancer edition Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 33

Daniel S wrote:

Because in addition to the paid connects, you also have to lower your rates in order to make sure you'll get that job. And think about the fact that the rest will do the same. Trick or treat, eh?


This makes no sense. With less (or even the same) number of people applying, why in the world would you have to lower your price?

Ace Contributor
Daniel S Member Since: Apr 2, 2014
13 of 33

Petra R wrote:


This makes no sense. With less (or even the same) number of people applying, why in the world would you have to lower your price?


To make sure you get the project. Or to increase your chances of getting it. In a car race where all the cars have the same power, some of them will lose some weight in order to get ahead.

Community Leader
Aleksandr H Member Since: Jan 29, 2017
14 of 33

Daniel S wrote:

Petra R wrote:


This makes no sense. With less (or even the same) number of people applying, why in the world would you have to lower your price?


To make sure you get the project. Or to increase your chances of getting it. In a car race where all the cars have the same power, some of them will lose some weight in order to get ahead.


Eh... no. That's true even without the price tag on Connects. Supply and demand suggests that with fewer freelancers applying for jobs, and with the same amount of demand for freelance work, our rates should technically go up because clients can no longer afford to exploit low-quality workers.

Ace Contributor
Daniel S Member Since: Apr 2, 2014
15 of 33

Aleksandr H wrote:


Eh... no. That's true even without the price tag on Connects. Supply and demand suggests that with fewer freelancers applying for jobs, and with the same amount of demand for freelance work, our rates should technically go up because clients can no longer afford to exploit low-quality workers.


Technically, but riddle me this: the clients don't have to pay for the connects, so wouldn't they still be inclined to pick the lowest price? Even more, with the pool of freelancers consisting of high-quality workers, chances are that the ones with the lowest bid will get the job. I for one practice balanced prices, but that's not enough. A lot of clients would rather pay the least possible and some to not even pay. It's the power of habit, and these changes are for us, not for them. Plus, I think seeing only top rated freelancers with high prices applying, the clients will search for alternatives.

Community Leader
Aleksandr H Member Since: Jan 29, 2017
16 of 33

Daniel S wrote:


Technically, but riddle me this: the clients don't have to pay for the connects, so wouldn't they still be inclined to pick the lowest price?


Yep, but I think that "lowest price" would just be relative. The minimum price that people would generally bid would (I think) go up—the lowest price among mostly mid-to-high-end freelancers.

 

(Personally, I'm still not happy about the change. Imo, Upwork already takes quite a bit of the cut from every transaction. But I'm no expert and can't speak to their financial situation.)

 


Daniel S wrote:

Plus, I think seeing only top rated freelancers with high prices applying, the clients will search for alternatives.

Yeah, I think that's a likely outcome.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
17 of 33

In Upwork tests they could charge you for each answer you give, to discourage guessing when you don't know the answer.

 

Of course, questions where you need to choose two or more answers world be more profitable, so we could expect more of those in future.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
18 of 33

Also, when you upload your photo, there'll be a charge per pixel. And a charge per character in your password. So only more successful freelancers can afford clear photos and secure passwords.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
19 of 33

They could start charging one connect to post a comment in the forum. Two connects if it is a question about how to get paid. Four connects for asking how to get paid without a contract.

 

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
20 of 33

Phyllis G wrote:

They could start charging one connect to post a comment in the forum. Two connects if it is a question about how to get paid. Four connects for asking how to get paid without a contract.

 


6 connects for any question about JSS, and a bonus connect if the freelancer thinks that either: his JSS is calculated differently from anybody else's, that his score has nothing to do with how the project went, and is just generally going down a rabbit hole of paranoia. (A part of me really really wants to believe that every two weeks some upwork people throw a dice and select 1 (one) freelancer to mess with his JSS, and then laugh themselves silly. And make a drinking game out of every time I tell the poor sap freelancer that no, it's the same for everybody. Cheers!)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS