🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: A real issue. 30% of jobs posted with no ...
Page options
pedroed
Community Member

A real issue. 30% of jobs posted with no payments verified.

16,321 jobs with verified payments; out of 22,336  in Design & Creative category.

More than 36% of jobs posted by client with no payments verified.

This is a real issue.

screenshot-www.upwork.com-2019.04.04-19-10-00.png

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Badr E wrote:

16,321 jobs with verified payments; out of 22,336  in Design & Creative category.

That's great, it means new clients are being attracted to the platform.

There is no issue with clients whose payment method is not verified ***YET*** - as long as no work is done until its is.

I made multiple tens of thousands of Dollars in the last 12 months from clients whose payment method was not verified when we first interacted.

Some freelancers see such clients as a risk, which is fine. They should stay away from them if they can't handle it.

Others see them as an opportunity to be profitable.

You decide which camp you belong into.

I complete agree with Petra, I can't see the problem in working with these clients.

From my point of view, the only real issue is the quality of the job posting since the introduction of the Upwork plus membership fee for clients, but maybe it's just a coincidence and this was just a bad month.

I have not been through the client path, but it is not clear to me the incentive a client would have to verify their payment method before they have to. Personally if I am working with a site that will need payment info, I tend to wait until I am sure and it's required. Again I don't know the client path so I am unsure if UW puts any emphasis on getting a verified payment method. Do they espouse any benefit to the client or is just another step in the process? At the end of the day I don't think I would be any more likely to get a good job from someone that has a verified payment method versus someone who gets it when they are ready to work with me. Verified payment is not a client quality screen. 

petra_r
Community Member

Scott B wrote:

I have not been through the client path, but it is not clear to me the incentive a client would have to verify their payment method before they have to. Personally if I am working with a site that will need payment info, I tend to wait until I am sure and it's required. Again I don't know the client path so I am unsure if UW puts any emphasis on getting a verified payment method. Do they espouse any benefit to the client or is just another step in the process?

Yes, they do. They tell the client during the job posting process that their post will attract more / better applicants if their payment method is verified. I can't remember the exact wording or the exact stage.

browersr
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Scott B wrote:

I have not been through the client path, but it is not clear to me the incentive a client would have to verify their payment method before they have to. Personally if I am working with a site that will need payment info, I tend to wait until I am sure and it's required. Again I don't know the client path so I am unsure if UW puts any emphasis on getting a verified payment method. Do they espouse any benefit to the client or is just another step in the process?

Yes, they do. They tell the client during the job posting process that their post will attract more / better applicants if their payment method is verified. I can't remember the exact wording or the exact stage.

Good to know. Thanks Petra!

Petra is the goddess of all things Upwork.

lysis10
Community Member

who cares jeez

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Badr E wrote:

This is a real issue.

screenshot-www.upwork.com-2019.04.04-19-10-00.png

complete non-issue

kennylee82
Community Member

I got scammed by clients with 'verified payment'  and paid by those without. 

Learned my lesson the hard way,

Now, it's about getting the escrow funded before starting any job. If a client can't handle that, I'll just walk away. 

Kenny,

I got scammed by clients with 'verified payment' and paid by those without.

Learned my lesson the hard way,

Now, it's about getting the escrow funded before starting any job. If a client can't handle that, I'll just walk away.

Good approach. I use high-end filters, expert only relatively high minimum, and 30% of those are also unverified. My two worst clients were verified, my best two weren't.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

A lot of them are new and honestly are trying to figure everything out. 
If they respond to my proposal and want to hire me, I walk them through it. Win-win.  

Latest Articles
Learning Paths