Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Academic cheating again - and again - and again

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
11 of 16

Contacting the appropriate learning facility is wonderful but terribly time consuming - time that could be spent profitably.  It would be lovely if such actions weren't necessary.  Truly the UW people who review academic fraud flags need better training and then we wouldn't have to do their jobs for them.

And many of these cheaters are getting away with this by making their jobs "invite only" to avoid the flags.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
12 of 16

Mary W wrote:

Contacting the appropriate learning facility is wonderful but terribly time consuming - time that could be spent profitably.  It would be lovely if such actions weren't necessary.  Truly the UW people who review academic fraud flags need better training and then we wouldn't have to do their jobs for them.

And many of these cheaters are getting away with this by making their jobs "invite only" to avoid the flags.

My favorite today: "Seeking a DE ghostwriter for a term paper in the area of administrative law. Only Proofreading-Editing" The freelancer will receive a draft which needs corrected and changed to meet the requirements...

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
13 of 16

I attended college at a state school in Appalachia with no money. I paid my way through with part-time jobs and typing. I had one rate for typing from a draft and another if no draft was provided. **Edited for Community Guidelines** It was the 1960s and I was using a 1938 L.C. Smith business machine, about forty pounds.

Institutions, freelancers and Upwork are all accomplices. So are teachers who review papers and never detect that the Denisovan cave-dweller incapable of subject-verb agreement all semester suddenly sounds like a pro. My senior year I wrote five of the six term papers in a single course; four As and an A-. The teacher never caught on.

I'm not proud of it; I did it to eat. It forced me to learn to disguise my writing, to write in various styles, to mimic other writers. Those skills were useful later in life, especially when scamming scammers and shutting down criminal enterprises. No bad deed will go unrewarded.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 16

So Bill, 

For you, cheating is OK, provided you have the excuse that you are hungry? I wonder what happened to those straight-A students, who were given the fine example of how to make their way in the world. 

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
15 of 16

Nichola L wrote:

So Bill, 

For you, cheating is OK, provided you have the excuse that you are hungry? I wonder what happened to those straight-A students, who were given the fine example of how to make their way in the world. 

Because anyone can have ethics when they don't need a job. But the ends  justify the means for Bill.  I fear for science and medicine,  and for myself considering the ethics of the  people we will put our lives in the hands of. 

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
16 of 16

Nichola, Amanda, I've confessed. I've opened myself to criticism I deserve. I submit that what had been a rash of shoplifting candy bars has become, with the internet and spread of online freelancing, nothing short of a major crime wave. My feeling about this is similar to my opinion on buyers requiring responses begin with "Babushka's aardvark" to know whether the responder had read the entire job post. Buyers who cannot differentiate between a crafted and tailored response and a "Dear Occupant" letter don't meet my standards for becoming a client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS