🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Achilles and the freelancer
Page options
11f7a755
Community Member

Achilles and the freelancer

Inspired by Zeno (and limitless free time on my hands...) here is a crack at perpetual machine by yours truly.

Achilles posts job, freelancer x1 accepts the offer

Freelancer x1 posts same the job for ½  of the rate at the same site, and freelancer x2  accepts the offer

Freelancer xposts the same job for ¼ of the original rate, and freelancer x3  accepts the offer

Freelancer x3  posts the same job for  1/8th of the rate and freelancer xn  accepts the offer

Freelancer xn  posts the same job for 1/16th of the rate and freelancer xn+1 accepts the offer

And it continues ad infinitum...

My question to the alert reader other than the fact that this may be in violation of Upwork ToS (?): does this hypertask ever get done or not, and if yes, what time of the day it finishes?

4 REPLIES 4
astepanov83
Community Member

Although I can't really answer your question, what I do know as a developer is that an infinitely fast computer processes an infinite loop in 5 seconds. That may help.

The arrow paradox is the lens through which to both view and answer this question. Both time and space are infinite AND infinitely divisible into discrete units. 

The paradoxes of the chariot (both progressive and regressive) and Achilles/Tortoise rely for their paradoxical nature on a combination of infinitely divisible space and/or time paired with finite space and/or time (dependent upon the specific paradox).

jr-translation
Community Member

Zeeshan M wrote:

Inspired by Zeno (and limitless free time on my hands...) here is a crack at perpetual machine by yours truly.

Achilles posts job, freelancer x1 accepts the offer

Freelancer x1 posts same the job for ½  of the rate at the same site, and freelancer x2  accepts the offer

Freelancer xposts the same job for ¼ of the original rate, and freelancer x3  accepts the offer

Freelancer x3  posts the same job for  1/8th of the rate and freelancer xn  accepts the offer

Freelancer xn  posts the same job for 1/16th of the rate and freelancer xn+1 accepts the offer

And it continues ad infinitum...

My question to the alert reader other than the fact that this may be in violation of Upwork ToS (?): does this hypertask ever get done or not, and if yes, what time of the day it finishes?

Yes, it is a ToS violation.

When I saw the subject line I expected something like this...

Freelancer submits revisions,  getting closer and closer to what the client wants,  but never quite getting there. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths