🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Adobe Illustrator vs Canva
Page options
80560af3
Community Member

Adobe Illustrator vs Canva

Why is Adobe Illustrator losing its popularity to a raster-based online graphic design platform?

5 REPLIES 5
christopherbudde
Community Member

People will spend $500 on an office chair and only want to spend $100 on their product's packaging design. Why do the want to use Canva? Because they think they are art directors. Most of the time they are kidding themselves.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think it's because Canva is more accessible for those not adept at using Adobe products. I used my sister's Adobe products for some side projects (they're personal projects, mind you), and for a beginner like me, I was struggling. Right now, I'm using Canva for a side business because we don't have the budget to invest in Adobe tools. I'm not a designer, but I need artwork now and then, and we also don't have the budget to hire an on-call designer. So we turned to Canva to help us with this need.

That's probably why others use it, too, maybe? 🤔 

For my partner and me, our goal is to be able to hire an expert eventually to help us with this need. But right now, we're using accessible tools to help us jump-start our business.

~ Avery
Upwork
9fa74366
Community Member

Some people don't need to launch a rocket to get from New York to Washington, DC. Illustrator is still popular today, it's just that some people don't know too much about it. It's easier to design in Canva

3a761b81
Community Member

Adobe products are more suited for professional designers working on complex projects which require a lot of detail.

Canva is an easy-to-use tool for beginners to make basic designs, presentations, and videos for their personal and/or professional use. I think the majority of users fall into beginner territory (myself included).

8467c28e
Community Member

It is not accurate to say that Adobe Illustrator is losing its popularity to Canva or any other raster-based online graphic design platform. While Canva is a popular and user-friendly design platform, Adobe Illustrator is still widely used by professionals in the design industry.

There are a few reasons why someone might choose Canva over Illustrator:

1. Ease of use: Canva is designed to be intuitive and easy to use, with pre-made templates and a drag-and-drop interface. This makes it a great option for beginners or those without design experience.

2. Cost: Canva offers a free version with limited functionality, as well as paid plans that are more affordable than an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

3. Collaboration: Canva is a cloud-based platform that allows for easy collaboration with others, whereas Illustrator requires desktop software and can be more difficult to share files with others.

That being said, Adobe Illustrator is still the go-to software for many professional designers for a number of reasons:

1. Vector-based graphics: Illustrator is a vector-based program, which means that the graphics it produces can be scaled up or down without losing quality. This is particularly important for designers who need to create high-resolution images for print.

2. More advanced features: Illustrator has a wider range of tools and features than Canva, making it more powerful for complex design tasks.

3. Industry standard: Illustrator is the industry standard for professional graphic design, particularly in fields like branding and logo design. This means that many employers expect their designers to be proficient in Illustrator.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths