🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Ah, the beauty of literary writing.
Page options
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Ah, the beauty of literary writing.

A forum participant released a master class in literary-style writring.  Elegant, flowing.  Complex sentence structures, advanced punctuation.  Truly a beautiful read.

Tears came to my eyes.  I remembered the days when I took a year-and-a-half off from work to pen my first version of my Novel.  I wrote the first version by hand - 75,000 words - to ensure I wrote slowly and with the passion and sting of pen-in-hand.  Then the full version.  Literary style.  My best attempts at a master class in literary expression.  One sentence, in particular, a crown jewel in my efforts to demonstrate skill.

Then it was back to Upwork to begin my business writing career.  I was curious to see if I could transition.  A writing world where the target grade level is 8th.  A speed of business communication that prevents rank-and-file word editing. Constant editing, grammar checks, style revisions, as I cannot very well release $8.000 in website words with but one fault seen. Many websites, written with snippets of words that do not even qualify as sentences.  Only commas and periods.  At most one conjunction. Constant use of the Oxford comma, as it visually helps readers see This, That, AND That.

Knowing many of my readers will be offshore and ESL at best.  A culling down of my literary writing skills, a shaving off of expression.  To the point. to the point of pain.

So beautiful to see that light of writing; words--elegantly set by pen in prose. The expressions: an easy flow of grace; a study in sincere talent applied; and, the power of perpetual practice.

I miss literary writing and providing myself with masterclasses in writing skill.  For each time I write a little bit better. I have provided myself with a masterclass for the next step up.

Banquet for thought.

5 REPLIES 5
reinierb
Community Member

John B wrote:

A forum participant released a master class in literary-style writring.  Elegant, flowing.  Complex sentence structures, advanced punctuation.  Truly a beautiful read.

Tears came to my eyes.  I remembered the days when I took a year-and-a-half off from work to pen my first version of my Novel.  I wrote the first version by hand - 75,000 words - to ensure I wrote slowly and with the passion and sting of pen-in-hand.  Then the full version.  Literary style.  My best attempts at a master class in literary expression.  One sentence, in particular, a crown jewel in my efforts to demonstrate skill.

Then it was back to Upwork to begin my business writing career.  I was curious to see if I could transition.  A writing world where the target grade level is 8th.  A speed of business communication that prevents rank-and-file word editing. Constant editing, grammar checks, style revisions, as I cannot very well release $8.000 in website words with but one fault seen. Many websites, written with snippets of words that do not even qualify as sentences.  Only commas and periods.  At most one conjunction. Constant use of the Oxford comma, as it visually helps readers see This, That, AND That.

Knowing many of my readers will be offshore and ESL at best.  A culling down of my literary writing skills, a shaving off of expression.  To the point. to the point of pain.

So beautiful to see that light of writing; words--elegantly set by pen in prose. The expressions: an easy flow of grace; a study in sincere talent applied; and, the power of perpetual practice.

I miss literary writing and providing myself with masterclasses in writing skill.  For each time I write a little bit better. I have provided myself with a masterclass for the next step up.

Banquet for thought.

Seems I was right. The message totally missed its mark.

versailles
Community Member

John B wrote:

Yeah, well baby steps, John, baby steps. For starters try grammatical English and words that actually exist and use them according to their actual definition. This ESL will appreciate the effort.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

"To the point. to the point of pain."

Super. We’re (mis)quoting Princess Bride now?

"That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever."

Rene, you old quip-master. Long time no viddy, dude.

Anyway, John, what some of us are trying to say is that only grandmasters can break the rules of writing (think ee cummings or James Joyce or J.P. Donleavy or Boby Dylan). The rest of us have to stay in our lanes. (Think page turners written by mortals.) 

Stick to the rules ... and aim for clarity.. Clarity soothes the savage beast (not overwriting). 

238bc2bb
Community Member

Please l can help me

Latest Articles
Learning Paths