cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All I want for Christmas from UpWork....

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
1 of 41

Over the past few years that I've been freelancing on this board, UpWork has given me the gift of being able to connect with clients I could not have dreamed of meeting. I get to find out about some of the coolest research projects that are being conducted all around the world. I really appreciate that UpWork was a place where my clients felt secure enough to bring their projects. 

However, I find that the way UpWork deals with approving profiles and removing fake ones really needs to be reconsidered. The current systems for flagging and ticket handling by T&S don't work well enough to handle the current volume of fake profiles that are auto-approved.

What I want from UpWork for Christmas is for someone to consider the bigger picture of what approving masses of fake profiles does for the system as a whole. My wish is that clients like mine can continue to feel more secure in what they're getting here. 

Can we start with these?

**Edited for community guidelines**

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 41

Apparently not ALL of these profiles are fake.

One of them claims to be a "real person."

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 1.34.58 PM.png

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
4 of 41

I have marked many of these "multiple births", but I still see some of those marked out there, so quiet.

And then, come the apocalyptic messages of Joseph, who close accounts, without giving any reason, to people who, perhaps, do not deserve it, or just deserve a small scolding.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 41

This sort of thing keeps on being brought to light. Could Upwork please start checking these profiles and conducting suitable profile verifications - instead of targeting established freelancers who have verified their profiles multiple times. 

Please do not say this is to benefit our security, because it is not so. There are no humans behind this verification - any more than there is behind the "sanitization" process when sending files to clients.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 41

As far as we know, it is biologically possible for a woman to give birth to identical octuplets. Furthermore, it could indeed be legal in Canada to give all 8 siblings the same first name. Furthermore, is within the realm of possibility that all 8 would decide to become freelancers on Upwork. And to save time and money, they might decide to re-use the exact same profile photograph. I don't see what the problem is.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 41

Preston H wrote:

As far as we know, it is biologically possible for a woman to give birth to identical octuplets. Furthermore, it could indeed be legal in Canada to give all 8 siblings the same first name. Furthermore, is within the realm of possibility that all 8 would decide to become freelancers on Upwork. And to save time and money, they might decide to re-use the exact same profile photograph. I don't see what the problem is.

What on earth are you talking about? This is extraordinarily offensive both against women and another country. And - even octuplets working on Upwork would need separate overviews. Preston - just stop - please. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 41

re: "What on earth are you talking about?"

Just speculating as to the origin of the original poster's collection of freelancers. (now deleted by a moderator)

If you don't think they're homonymous octopulets, then I have to assume you think they are fake profiles?

renata101
Community Guru
8 of 41

Preston H wrote:

re: "What on earth are you talking about?"

Just speculating as to the origin of the original poster's collection of freelancers. (now deleted by a moderator)

If you don't think they're homonymous octopulets, then I have to assume you think they are fake profiles?

Well, according to the Scientific American article (okay, it's not the most erudite source, but remember, no one's paying me for this...) there have been two known octuplet births in the US. 

What are the odds of that? Where's Eve? Maybe she can help us out with this. 

richardsmith94
Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
9 of 41

Nichola L wrote:

Preston H wrote:

What on earth are you talking about? This is extraordinarily offensive both against women and another country. And - even octuplets working on Upwork would need separate overviews. Preston - just stop - please. 

Nichola L wrote:

Preston H wrote:

It really isn't.  Preston is using sarcasm to make a point Nichola...

renata101
Community Guru
10 of 41

Richard S wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Preston H wrote:

It really isn't.  Preston is using sarcasm to make a point Nichola...

Is it a point worth making?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS