cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All I want for Christmas from UpWork....

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
11 of 41

Preston H wrote:

As far as we know, it is biologically possible for a woman to give birth to identical octuplets. Furthermore, it could indeed be legal in Canada to give all 8 siblings the same first name. Furthermore, is within the realm of possibility that all 8 would decide to become freelancers on Upwork. And to save time and money, they might decide to re-use the exact same profile photograph. I don't see what the problem is.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ask-the-experts-why-are-o/

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 41

Hi Renata,

Thanks for sharing your experience and observations.

In the new year, we definitely plan to continue improving processes and programs that identify and action duplicate and fake profiles. That includes the process of automatic and manual review for new profiles. Also, verifying users' identities and continuing to do so periodically is another one of the many steps we are taking to combat the issue.

We'll make sure the profiles you noted are reviewed as soon as possible. If you'd like to report freelancer's profile for violations in the future, please do so privately via a support ticket or a private message to one of the moderators.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 41

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

Thanks for sharing your experience and observations.

In the new year, we definitely plan to continue improving processes and programs that identify and action duplicate and fake profilesThat includes the process of automatic and manual review for new profiles. Also, verifying users' identities and continuing to do so periodically is another one of the many steps we are taking to combat the issue.

We'll make sure the profiles you noted are reviewed as soon as possible. If you'd like to report freelancer's profile for violations in the future, please do so privately via a support ticket or a private message to one of the moderators.

A lot of damage can be done between now and 31 December 2019.

A lot of damage has already been done by people who have continued to flout UpworkToS: People who have been continuously flagged by established freelancers either here or in pms to the moderators. And despite that, those people STILL have profiles - "several" profiles - on Upwork. 

What exactly will change from 1 January, 2020?

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
14 of 41

Yes, they could start right now, as a Christmas gift, as Renata said.
A good cleaning!

renata101
Community Guru
15 of 41

Valeria K wrote:

Also, verifying users' identities and continuing to do so periodically is another one of the many steps we are taking to combat the issue.

Yes, I understand that. I was personally asked to video verify twice in a span of less than two months. In addtion to the the eight profiles I posted that were "edited", I could easily find 50 more in the next 20 minutes that are along the same theme. What I would like is for UpWork to take some responsibility in finding and removing duplicates rather than relying on freelancers to flag them and performing some hit-and-miss selection process to decide which of the flagged ones to remove or not remove. I think you could video verify any of those "freelancers", but your T&S agents seem to prefer to re-verify people who have already been verified.  

Or do agents only get bonus points for re-verifying real people? I am afraid I don't quite understand the priorites here. 

And while we've been talking about it, all eight have been "edited" from my post, but no one has thought to alert marketing to take them down. 

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
16 of 41

Renata - I am curious to know how you find the fake profiles.

renata101
Community Guru
17 of 41

Joan S wrote:

Renata - I am curious to know how you find the fake profiles.

Google and the UpWork search engine. These are tools that are easily available to everyone including UpWork staff. I've written tickets with instructions about what I do, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of initiative in terms of adopting them. 

joansands
Community Guru
18 of 41

I have searched on Upwork for freelancers in my category but have never come across someone I thought was fake.

renata101
Community Guru
19 of 41

Joan S wrote:

I have searched on Upwork for freelancers in my category but have never come across someone I thought was fake.

If you came across this guy, and he said he was a translator full stack developer, would you flag him?

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 5.11.06 PM.png

And if you came across him more than once, say maybe four or five times, would you just think it was just his brother?

joansands
Community Guru
20 of 41

Hard to tell from just a picture.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS