cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All I want for Christmas from UpWork....

luce-neidert
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
21 of 41

I've found triplets, once. They had all done the same studies at the same university, but lived in 3 different countries. If I remember right, they had the same name. You can find very odd people on Upwork.

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
22 of 41

Luce N wrote:

I've found triplets, once. They had all done the same studies at the same university, but lived in 3 different countries. If I remember right, they had the same name. You can find very odd people on Upwork.

Well, if you can make it past the fried chicken ads, I found an article that suggests the odds of this (I'm just giving the screenshot, the link is below).

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 1.12.46 PM.png

https://www.livescience.com/52613-identical-triplets-quadruplets-science.html

renata101
Community Guru
23 of 41

Joan S wrote:

Hard to tell from just a picture.

Maybe this is a better picture:

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 2.15.10 AM.png
(However, the Rotten Tomatoes Tomatormeter only gives it 63%.)

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
24 of 41

Renata - Well, I don't know how you have so much time to find all these freelancers who you think are fake. I have so much work to do that I don't have the time for that. I often just can't find time to reply to messages on the community board.

renata101
Community Guru
25 of 41

Joan S wrote:

Renata - Well, I don't know how you have so much time to find all these freelancers who you think are fake. I have so much work to do that I don't have the time for that. I often just can't find time to reply to messages on the community board.

Joan, I don't have that kind of time either, and that's the point of this whole post if you did in fact take the time to read it. I found the initial eight and I know there are many, many, many more. I did the work in this case in an attempt to show how extensive the problem is. And for me, if I know there's a serious problem with something, I try to let people know about it before more damage is done. It's really time we stopped treating this like it was some sort of joke.

The point of my post is this: I think that seeing duplicates like this damages client trust in the platform. If I'm running into them, I'm sure clients are too. That concerns me and it really should concern you too. Otherwise, believe me, I wouldn't be investing the time in flagging them all individually.

joansands
Community Guru
26 of 41

Renata - I did take time out of a very busy day to read this entire post so I don't need a snide remark. And it does concern me if there are fake freelancer profiles on Upwork - but, unfortunately, that is somewhat the way of the world and it is why there is the old caution of "buyer beware."

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
27 of 41

Joan S wrote:

Renata - I did take time out of a very busy day to read this entire post so I don't need a snide remark. And it does concern me if there are fake freelancer profiles on Upwork - but, unfortunately, that is somewhat the way of the world and it is why there is the old caution of "buyer beware."

Good grief! "Buyer beware" is the last thing we want clients thinking about Upwork! Renata is right, the proliferation of fake profiles has gotten completely out of control and it's difficult to see, from where we sit, why UW isn't investing more attention and resources to address it. The main problem is not that they might succeed in their scams. The main problem is that smarter, more savvy clients -- the ones we all want to work with -- see them and think the platform is so riddled with fakery that it's not worth trying to use it. Not worth the time and effort likely required to pick through and find the real pros they want to work with.

If you disagree, fine. Why get personal about it? We're all busy. We all invest our time and energy where we think it matters most. 

joansands
Community Guru
28 of 41

What I meant, Phyllis, is that I believe freelancers need to vet clients and that clients need to do the same - just like in other areas of life. I was not trying to get personal with anyone although you always seem to have it in for me.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
29 of 41

Joan S wrote:

What I meant, Phyllis, is that I believe freelancers need to vet clients and that clients need to do the same - just like in other areas of life. I was not trying to get personal with anyone although you always seem to have it in for me.

Well, yes, clients and FLs need to vet each other, especially in an online environment. But that's not the point of discussion here. The point is that a client coming on to the platform to search for qualified FLs is likely to see boocoodles of obviously fake profiles and decide it's not worth trying to find the help they need. They walk away. Nobody benefits. Meanwhile, there are measures UW could take to reduce the scale of the problem. So far, they choose not to and it's tremendously frustrating to many of us.

BTW, I don't "have it in for" you or anyone else. Whenever I think my two cents' worth can add to a discussion, I comment. When not, I keep it to myself. I never personalize things except in response to personal remarks by others. 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
30 of 41

Joan S wrote:

We don't "find" them. They are glaringly obvious. Many are discovered because they come to the forums for help, thereby announcing themselves quite clearly. Before I offer help, I often look at their profiles first - invariably there are lies about everything: language, location, stolen overview or portfolio, fake photos, or all of the above. It's really quite easy to be aware of the fakes on this site, busy or not.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS