Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All That Jazz

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
George J Member Since: Nov 9, 2014
71 of 73

I was raised in a Jazz household. My stepfather didn't like us listening to most of the music on the radio back in the 70's so we listened to Jazz while we were at home and out and about. Recently found myself listening to it more while I work instead of my usual Detroit Techno, downtempo, and 80's/90's hip hop.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
72 of 73

Riz & George, a belated welcome to the thread. I've been working mostly non-stop for a couple of weeks, so didn't have much time to participate in the forum.

George, this is first time I heard Perception -- the tune as whole, and Chick Corea on piano in particular, are very reminiscent of McCoy Tyner.

Ahmad Jamal was big influence on Miles Davis, including the use of medium tempo. So here's that shortlived but amazing band of Kind of Blue renown doing Green Dolphin Street. And after that, a Jamal obscurity I discovered, notable in that at 1:37 into the recording, the guitarist plays the melody of John Colrane's composition Impressions. Here I thought Impressions was based on Miles' So What.

73 of 73

I know I've featured Coltrane a lot in the thread, but I'm not sure I've featured much music of an overtly spiritual character, and it happened to come up in my smartphone shuffle today, so here's part 1 of A Love Supreme.