cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All That Jazz

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 39

I'm a huge jazz fan, and since there's a classical music thread, thought I'd provide an alternative. To kick things off, a storied Bill Evans trio performance at the Village Vanguard of a Cole Porter piece:

Bill Evans had many detractors, but even they would have to concede that he swings on this if they're honest, I believe.

2 of 39

I have to include the greatest jazz musician I saw in person, though he was in poor health at the time. He was also Bill Evans’ employer at one time. Here’s a jazz standard by his first great quintet. The picture says John Coltrane, but it was Miles Davis' band featuring John Coltrane and 3 other great musicians.

3 of 39

Listening to this right now.

Community Guru
4 of 39

Valentina, thanks for sharing. What a talent Baker was; he was quite the vocalist as well. Here's another trumpeter who could sing, and sadly, like everyone else in this thread so far, he had substance abuse issues -- alcohol in his case. The lyrics are very dated, but that's part of the charm for me.

I've been consulted by Franklin D

Greta Garbo has had me to tea...

5 of 39

I needed this thread today - M-A-H-A-L-O    Heart

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 39

A week or two before my 18th birthday, I traveled from my very small hometown in the rural Deep South to a small college in the Midwest. I may as well have landed on another planet, which was my intention. One of the first campus events I attended was a live concert by Oscar Peterson. Decades--and hundreds of hours of listening to his recordings--later, I still get chills thinking about it. In the gentlest way possible, that concert blew my doors off.

I can't remember that program but here's a cut I love, from a live recording.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 39

Thanks for starting this thread, John! Since I lindy hop, I listen (and dance) to jazz a lot. Here is a song that I've really enjoyed dancing to and have been playing in my lindy hop lessons a lot lately:

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
8 of 39

Valeria, thanks for sharing. What a beautiful musician Lester 'Prez' Young was, even though he was in decline by the time of the recording. He was a huge influence on the great saxophonist Stan Getz by the way, but sadly Lester was an alcoholic & Getz had serious substance issues. Eventually, we'll feature a musician here who was substance free, but I have to play a video with both Billie Holiday and Lester Young, plus some other great players. It's sad because both Holiday and Young are so frail, in Holiday's case because of her addiction, but the music is still beautiful. Lester plays the second sax solo.

9 of 39

Yes, sadly there are a lot of tragic destinies and lives cut short in jazz. I'm glad you brought up Billie Holiday. Here is a song by her that always gives me goose bumps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
10 of 39

Ok, here's one musician who never had a substance problem, to my knowledge. It's also a chance to hear something that's latin flavored, as well as an example of the modal approach to composition and improvisation, meaning melody based more on scales than chords, and somewhat similar to Gregorian chant and Indian music. We've had a run of trumpet players, so I'll be featuring other instruments very soon.