cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All That Jazz

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
11 of 39

I don't want to monopolize the thread, but can't pass up the chance to feature 2 instruments yet to be featured, by 2 masters of their instruments. It's also interesting that another master of his instrument, Ray Barretto, is the conga player both on this track and the preceding. One more note, I just learned today that the title, O.G.D, stands for Organ Guitar Drums. Cat Surprised Hammond organ here by Jimmy Smith and guitar by Wes Montgomery

[video]

12 of 39

This is the best thread EVER!! Now, will someone please advise me how to post YouTube videos here? Yesterday I tracked down some favorites to share, but evidently I don't know how to do it properly. My post contained a link that you would have to follow off this site. I tried editing it to fix that, and then the post disapeared. Recess was over and I never got back to it. But I want to play, too, please!

Community Guru
13 of 39

@Phyllis G wrote:

This is the best thread EVER!! Now, will someone please advise me how to post YouTube videos here? Yesterday I tracked down some favorites to share, but evidently I don't know how to do it properly. My post contained a link that you would have to follow off this site. I tried editing it to fix that, and then the post disapeared. Recess was over and I never got back to it. But I want to play, too, please!

Phyllis, they've made this more complicated than it use to be but first go to youtube and copy the link, then start a reply and click the Video button in the editor, then fill in Video URL in the popup and click the Preview button, then choose a size (leave it small, that's plenty big) and click Insert Video, like this: (needed an excuse to post another video, I wanted to do something with heavier latin percussion, plus something that's a vamp, rather than a written melody, a practice jam bands picked up on. Also worth noting that Hungarian guitarist Gabor Szabo was an important influence on Carlos Santana.) And glad somebody likes the thread. Cat Very Happy

14 of 39

Phyllis,

I pulled your post from our filter and fixed the link to the video you shared so it can be played from within your post.

And.. it's amazing that you saw Oscar Peterson live...

This is something I wish I could have seen live:

[video]

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
15 of 39

Thanks, Valeria!

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
16 of 39

This one just makes me happy Smiley Happy  Music you can cook to. 

[video]

Community Guru
17 of 39

I featured a vamp earlier, so here's perhaps the most celebrated use of vamps in jazz. It's also the recording that resuscitated soprano sax as a jazz instrument. One more interesting tidbit, Ray Manzarek and John Densmore of the Doors were Coltrane fans, and the solos in "Light My Fire" are played over the same vamp Coltrane uses here, except the Doors played it in 4/4 rather than 6/8. Another thing I noticed, McCoy Tyner's piano solo reminds me very much of some minimalist music, which I happen to like.

[video]

18 of 39

@Renata S wrote:

This one just makes me happy Smiley Happy  Music you can cook to. 

[video]

You just introduced me to a wonderful singer and musicians. I might have to abandon Bach. 

Community Guru
19 of 39

@Nichola L wrote:

You just introduced me to a wonderful singer and musicians. I might have to abandon Bach. 

Oh no, Bach is eternal. And incidentally, he was renowned in his time for his improvisational skills. But jazz *is* an artform. Alhough like everything else, there's lots of mediocrity, but it tends to be less commercial than other musical genres. Here's a band that was a commercial success in its day, but still had artistic integrity IMO, with probably its greatest lineup. Weather Report had a rotating lineup, aside from the 2 founding members -- you can tell that they're older than their bandmates -- but on this one, it's the youngsters on percussion and bass who carry the tune. Incidentally, it's debatable if this is jazz, but it's well played music I enjoy. Some things are hard to label.

20 of 39

I don't want to be responsible for that. Variety is great, but don't abandon Bach! 

We don't have any Satchmo yet? I was having a chat with someone about the line "We are such stuff as dreams are made on." It reminded me of this:

[video]

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS