🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » All That Jazz
Page options
yitwail
Community Member

All That Jazz

I'm a huge jazz fan, and since there's a classical music thread, thought I'd provide an alternative. To kick things off, a storied Bill Evans trio performance at the Village Vanguard of a Cole Porter piece:

Bill Evans had many detractors, but even they would have to concede that he swings on this if they're honest, I believe.

Community Member

Sorry, Farag, I am a New Orleanian through and through.  Aaron Neville (and his assorted incredibly talented family) are funk but never jazz, IMO.  I have heard him perform live many, many times and he really never comes close to jazz.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Well, he is in his 80s now, a couple of his brothers have passed away, and Aaron is not in good health so I suspect his live performance days are over.  And the late Allan Toussaint was a genius in composing and performing, but definitely never a jazz man.

On another topic, I was privileged to be at what I recall was the final performance by Ella Fitzgerald on her final tour (at the College Inn in Chicago) from a stage-side table.  Pretty wonderful.

Yeah, he never came back to New Orleans to live after Katrina - his family all lost everything, his late wife was extremely ill, and he stayed away.  I think he might still do a performance here and there but he isn't well, either.

marc_compte
Community Member

Today I undusted an old album I have from the great Stephan Grappelli. I didn't listen to him in a long time and I don't really know why. And it was not in this thread, either. Shame on you, too!

This is more of a fusion piece, but it features the other French jazz violin great in a duet with a celebrated Indian violinist.

I had to include a violinist from the US. Here's trumpeter Ray Nance, who played the trumpet solo on the original recording of Take The A Train, playing it on violin almost 30 years later.

Felt like posting something by a Coltrane protégé. Here he's on vocal (though anything but a trained vocalist) and soprano sax. It's very long, but melodic.

yitwail
Community Member

I'm a day late for 4/20, but here's Fats Waller misbehavin' a bit.

Thanks for the thread. 💗

Sharing this in case it catches anyone. Irish and jazz, with A Foggy Dew in particular.
https://open.spotify.com/album/5Nu6DioMG5MRxNpbuiZaz5

yitwail
Community Member

Keith Jarrett's ancestry is Hungarian, I believe, but this is a beautiful rendition, even if there's not much improvisation to speak of.

I heard someone playing an album of this group doing Django Reinhardt tunes the other day. I'm glad I asked what the group was because today I've got full slate of detailed repetitive tasks.

The right music can get you through amost anything.

Here's the Hot Club of San Francisco playing one of their own arrangements, appropriately called Don't Panic.

The Hot Club of San Francisco

Don't know if I'm going need to panic. The video insertion tool is not working.

Renata S wrote:

I heard someone playing an album of this group doing Django Reinhardt tunes the other day. I'm glad I asked what the group was because today I've got full slate of detailed repetitive tasks.

The right music can get you through amost anything.

Here's the Hot Club of San Francisco playing one of their own arrangements, appropriately called Don't Panic.

The Hot Club of San Francisco

Don't know if I'm going need to panic. The video insertion tool is not working.

Hope I can insert video here, but enjoyed how the fiddler worked quotes into his solo. One of these days, have to play something by Dexter Gordon, who's the all-time musical quote champ. But wanted to play something funky today, because I'm not sure I've done that in this thread.

It's been a while but it occurred to me that I haven't featured any tunes based on rhythm changes. I won't tell you what those are -- you can google it, or better yet, figure it out from these 2 famous examples (2 out of hundreds)

OP (Oscar Peterson) was recentlly honored with the minting of a $1 Canadian coin. So here's the pianist from up north with celebrated bassist Ray Brown on an Ellington standard. Unfortunately, Lithium is claiming it's a private video that can't be played in community, so I can only provide a link. 
https://youtu.be/YidAJ4VLyR8 

You can see the new coin  here. It went into circulation on Monday. The image was created by illustrator and comic book artist Valentine De Landro.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/oscar-peterson-commemorative-coin-1.6547499

renata101
Community Member

Hey John,

This week I ran across an excerpt from an interesting essay by author and jazz enthusiast Ralph Ellison. It starts off with some reflections about sound and working from home:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/46134/living-with-music-by-ralph-ellison/9780375760235/excer...

Latest Articles
Learning Paths